Changing Windows to 64 bit

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Ambergris, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Ambergris macrumors newbie

I have a mid-2011 iMac with Windows Professional 32 bit installed on the Bootcamp drive, and would like to change to the 64 bit version. I understand that a clean install is required- is that correct? I would greatly appreciate step-by-step instructions for changing the Windows OS on the Bootcamp drive.
    With sincere thanks in anticipation!

2. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Yes, a clean install is required - microsoft do not support upgrades from 32 bit to 64 bit.

I haven't done it on a mac using bootcamp, but presumably if you back up and then remove the old boot camp install, then create a new one it should work.

3. Ambergris thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks for the rapid response.
    Do I have this correct- I run the install via the Bootcamp assistant, and format the drive during installation, then proceed to install the bootcamp support software? Apologies for the naive questions, but I don't want to mess this up!

4. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Sorry its been a while since i've run boot-camp and am not at my mac at the moment.

First order of the day would be to ensure you have a full backup via time machine, carbon copy cloner, etc. just in case the unforeseen happens.

5. Ambergris thread starter macrumors newbie

Absolutely important advice- I will back up both the Mac and bootcamp partitions.