Changing Wireless Client Names Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by amnichols10, Dec 9, 2013.

1. amnichols10 macrumors regular

I would like to edit the names of the my devices linked to my time capsule. I seen on the apple app page that it could be done, but I don't know how to edit it. Hopes this make sense and thanks for reading.

2. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Go to Network Settings under System Preferences on your Mac(s). Choose the network device you are using to connect to your Time Capsule (i.e. Wi-Fi, ethernet, etc.). Click on Advanced. Click on the TCP/IP tab. In the DHCP Client ID box enter what you would like to see displayed instead of the MAC ID.

3. amnichols10 thread starter macrumors regular

4. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Don't you see the names you've given to your devices under Settings > General > About > Name?
    IMHO the DHCP Client ID is meant for making DHCP reservations based on this (more descriptive) ID instead of MAC addresses.

5. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

priitv8 is right: Settings > General > About > Name. You can also rename it if you connect it locally with iTunes (in, at least, the sidebar like you would with a file in Finder).

I like descriptive, patterned names for all of my devices so I can tell them apart from others' on my network. As priitv8 said, you can also use them to make DHCP reservations, but unless the MAC address is unsuitable (e.g., a constantly changing device), I've had much better luck using the MAC address rather than the hostname. Sometimes the AEBS doesn't seem to correctly identify the device if I use the hostname, even if the names (for the client and the static IP rule) match exactly in AirPort Utility. Not that you're trying to do this, but that's my experience. :)