Channel 4 on iTunes UK

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sky Blue, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Channel 4 programmes are up on iTunes.
    Includes Spaced, Skins, Shameless and more.

Everyone should buy Spaced :D

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

iTunes seems to be the new vehicle for British broadcasters to get their stuff on the Mac. Hope both the Beeb and 4 offer iPlay/4oD type free downloads some time in the future

3. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I added Spaced and Black Books to my Shopping Cart - now all I need is some spare cash to buy them!

4. Dunk the Lunk macrumors regular

Brilliant!!, especially each one has the entire back catalogue too, unlike the recent BBC additions

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I would really like BBC to release their content in the US via iTunes. It is so annoying having to deal with the shoddiness of PBS at airing BBC shows in any appreciable order. Also, I'd love to see ITV release Corrie in the US and Canada as this 9 month wait for new episodes causes some striffe in my home.

TEG

6. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

7. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Most excellent. There's loads of good stuff up there. Very, very tempted to get series four of Peep Show. I've been meaning to get Black Books for ages, and I remember Teacher fondly. Already have Spaced though. Coffee and Kilory? Tea and Trisha?

Some are a few pennies cheaper than Amazon and Play.com too! Though the quality does seem noticably worse than if I just bought it on DVD and ripped it with Handbrake's iPhone preset.

Now if only iTunes would stop wanting to rip me off on their Popeye collection :mad::mad::mad:

8. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Never buy from that godawful l store... Just rip the DVD - the quality is so terrible and mosaiced... just rip the dvds for iPhone and enjoy.... buy the dvd that way u can rip it for multiple devices to maximum quality and there are no restrictions. the few extra quid make all the difference - not to mention subtitles, bonus features... itunes offer it? i think not....

9. nick9191 macrumors 68040

What cracks me up is they charge £1.89 for a minute or two episode of angry kid, and they charge £1.89 for an hour long episode of Shameless/Skins/Life on Mars.

10. Sky Blue thread starter Guest

Sky Blue

No ****, Sherlock.

11. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Regardless of what us uber-nerds think, my GF looked at a clip of Peep Show before and commented that it looked DVD quality. To me eyes it looks nowhere near it, but if Apple can fool her then they can probably fool most people.

12. Jakeblu macrumors regular

I downloaded the new vampire series for my wife and to my eyes it does look dvd quality. I have a Sony 32in LCD with a direct connection to my mac with the file playing through front row, the quality is imho very good. Whilst not a perfectionist in these things I know what I like and I like what I see :)

Steve aka jakeblu

'...and don't comeback until you have redeemed yourselves'

13. canoejohn macrumors newbie

That is a complete rip off!! As a PC and Mac user it really annoys me that Macs always get treated like a lower lifeform. If you use a PC and 4OD you get Spaced for free. Yes, free!! I've just downloaded the entire three series of Black Books for absolutely nothing but because of the stupid DRM I can't watch them on my MacBook so I have to sit at my PC desktop.

Channel 4 (and BBC), get it sorted!!

14. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

BBC IPlayer Works On mac Just Can't Download The Programs.

Channel 4's 4OD Is A Bummer That It Only On WinCrap. At least Shameless Is On iTunes Just Bought All Five Series.

15. Jakeblu macrumors regular

As far as I can tell after looking on their site free 4OD content is only available for a set amount of days, you cant keep it and play it for ever as you can with the itunes downloads. Oh and its a p2p system as well.

Steve aka jakeblu

'...and don't comeback until you have redeemed yourselves'

16. dogtanian macrumors 6502

dogtanian

Wow spaced, skin's AND shameless! all in one place!? All ridiculously over priced...! heeeeey wait a minute!

As soon as the price comes down to around £1 an episode then great otherwise I'll just have to buy dodgy knocked-off itunes gift cards... :(

17. canoejohn macrumors newbie

You are quite right about the time limit. You have thirty days to start watching and 24/48 hours to finish watching as soon as you start. Does that sound a bit like another service?? Itunes movie rentals anyone?

While you can't keep the downloads - as they are free it is just a matter of downloading again whenever you want. The p2p only needs to be active while you are downloading - no big deal with a broadband connection for most people.

I think the best solution would be if BBC and Channel 4 get their Kangaroo service up and running. As long as it is Mac compatible. Itunes is not the answer for free-to-air TV shows as Apple will always want their cut.