Channel 4 video quality (iTunes UK)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ggt, Mar 20, 2009.

1. ggt macrumors regular

Does anyone else have a problem with the terrible quality of Channel 4 video from the iTunes store? It's really bad when view on :apple:tv

I don't know how they get away with it when programs such as Lost are near DVD quality. In-fact don't Apple say all the TV shows are near DVD quality?

I wonder if it's because they encode for their on demand service (Microsoft DRM) then re encode for iTunes?

It really pisses me off because they have some amazing programs but i'm not going to pay for crap video quality. :mad:

2. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

iTunes shows are either in Standard Definition, or High Definition.

Nothing on the iTunes store is in on-demand/BBC iPlayer/YouTube quality.

Preview something on the iTunes store in SD and HD, and compare them to yours. If yours is worse, there's a problem with your download(s).

The other night I was on a slow internet connection, so when I downloaded Supernatural, I downloaded the SD one first and it was perfectly watchable. One a 15" screen it was no worse than normal SD TV.

3. admwright macrumors regular

I have not used itunes for Channel4 but their own system (4OD) download quality is pretty poor. It is watchable but not great the BBC standard quality is much better and the BBC high quality is getting pretty good.

4. ggt thread starter macrumors regular

As I understand it that is what we are supposed to get, but a SD episode of Peep Show from C4 is nowhere near the quality of a SD program from the BBC or LOST from Sky 1 (ABC)

5. N10248 macrumors 6502a

N10248

I've noticed that, i think they've upscaled 320x240 clips for the itunes files

this is a still from a Channel 4 show from iTunes UK, noticeable jaggie edges

Attached Files:

• c4.jpg
      c4.jpg
      File size:
      27.4 KB
      Views:
  6. ggt thread starter macrumors regular

I wish Apple would do something about it. There is no excuse when other networks manage to compress output at a good enough quality for :apple:tv through to iPod

I really want to buy the Red Riding Trilogy but i'm not prepared to risk getting a crappy quality version.