Channel bonding of DSL and 3G line

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dr_Maybe, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Dr_Maybe macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

If you have a DSL line and a 3G line, is there a good way of combining those, so you can use them both at the same time?

The goals would be:
    1) Utilizing the extra bandwidth
    2) A "seamless" fall back mechanism to 3G if the DSL line fails

I guess you won't get a faster connections for a single download, but if you have multiple things uploading or downloading at the same time ideally a load balancer should let some of the traffic go through the 3G line if the DSL line is saturated.

I have a USB 3G modem now, but I know there are some routers with a 3G modem built in. If the bonding happens on a Mac I guess the USB 3G adapter should work though?

Does a solution for OS X exist where my Mac could just do the bonding in software?

Are there routers with built in 3G modems that can bond a DSL connection with a 3G line and provide access to that combine line through wifi?

2. ztz macrumors newbie

Hey Dr_Maybe,

I've been doing some research and you actually can combine multiple Internet lines (eg including a cable modem) to make a faster and more reliable one. The Internet lines can be different technologies and can come from different providers, and it is not necessary to have special software (e.g. MLPPP) or hardware at the provider premises - they don't even have to know you are bonding their line to another (it is done at layer 4).

For example, you could bond together four ADSL lines at 6Mbps down/ 768k up to create a 24Mbps down/ 3Mbps up connection, even for a single file transfer or a streaming video source. This is a lot cheaper than a bonded T1 line.

I'm sure if you google search for "broadband bonding" you'll find what you're looking for.

Hope this helps your search.