Channels app DVR

Discussion in 'Apple TV Apps' started by ButteryScrollin, Jan 10, 2017.

1. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

2. d21mike, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017

d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I have also been running it for some time. Channels App for Live TV and DVR integration is the best DVR I have used. I run my DVR on a MAC Mini but you can also run it on various NAS boxes. The built in commercial skip (COMSKIP) is very nice.

Features

• Series Passes that record all/new episodes for any show.
    • Team Passes that record every game of your favorite teams.
    • Precise retention rules to auto remove recordings.
    • Adjust the padding of recordings to make sure you don’t miss the end of that game.
    • 14 days of guide data.
    • Robust search to find things to record or to create Passes.
    • Fully manageable directly from Channels for Apple TV.
    • Use as many HDHomeRun devices as you want.
    • Prioritize HDHomeRun devices for recording or ignore some completely.
    • Commercial indexing to allow you to quickly skip through commercial breaks.
    • Remote access to your DVR and HDHomeRun devices.
    • Watch live TV or recordings via browser through the Channels DVR web admin.
    • Auto updating. Channels DVR will always be up to date without having to do anything.
    • Tons more!

3. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Glad to see this drawing nearer to a full release.

4. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

$8 a month? You're heading into Time Warner set top box rental territory. Is there a price break if you sign up for a year?

5. beachmusic macrumors regular

beachmusic

Yea... that's to rich for my blood. Eyetv only charges $20.00 a year for Tv Guide info.

6. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

No. There is no annual payment option. $96 per year ($8 per month) is higher then other options. However, EYETV is not FREE. I think I paid about $80 for it and then $20 per year. And, from my experience the Channels DVR with integration with Channels Live is simply the very best option for an Apple TV. If you only have 1 TV I can see this being compared to the CABLE Company DVR. But in my case with 8 TV's and this replaces FIOS 2 DVR and 2 STB at a cost of $70+ per month and it only covered 4 TV's. This option by far is much better both in cost and usage then I had before.

7. ButteryScrollin thread starter macrumors 6502a

I pay $20 a month for a DVR from Verizon, then $10 a month per additional non-DVR box. This is considerably cheaper, with way better functionality.

8. 2010mini macrumors 68040

You've kidding right? $8 is too expensive for a polished software?!? Plus this is not $8 per Apple TV. You can use their DVR service for multiple Apple TVs. Go compare that to any pay tv box rental. Even non DVR box rental add up to more than this.

Sometimes this forums Walmart mentality that everything should be offered to them at a loss, just astounds me.

9. page3 macrumors 6502a

No UK support (yet?).

Quite expensive, especially when freeview is free and standalone dvr's are cheaper than the annual payment.

Plex DVR is also in beta, includes UK support and is cheaper. Less functionality right now though.

10. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Which is better? Price or reliability and functionality?

11. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

I own a Connect box, but since only OTA, don't find much value in the DVR service for what I would utlimately timeshift. I pay the $12 a month for commercial less Hulu and I get most of the streamable VOD i need for $4 more a better value i feel. Hopefully the Full hulu experience upcoming with Cloud DVR and CBS will make it even better

12. Polaroid macrumors 6502a

13. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Channels uses HomerunHD hardware which has a model that uses CableCard. If I've read it correctly, the Prime Model is what you need to utilize the DVR function.

14. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

No. Any current model will work. They are trying to support some older models.

I think the poster meant that if he is only going to record OTA then $8 is too much with other options available. Personal preference.

15. digduggler macrumors 6502

The DVR is REALLY REALLY well done. Tivo well done. It's easily worth the money to me.

16. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Some things are just worth the money.

17. jeniferkey macrumors member

We just got this set up. We'd already been using Channels for pausing live tv and after our first week of testing we're pleased and willing to pay the $8 for the ease of use and simple commercial skipping. We have Hulu for most channels, but this catches the ones that aren't available there. So much nicer than trying to get Com skip to work with other applications. I guess we might suspend use when there aren't shows to record in the summer, but we'll have to wait and see. Considering what we paid for Dish mostly for the DVR service, this is worth it to us.

18. page3 macrumors 6502a

That's an interesting point well made and if you pushed me I'd have to say the latter :)

Waiting for UK support and then I'll give it a go. Plex DVR could be great, but right now is still missing quite a lot of the fundamentals and appears way way behind.