Charge an iPhone with an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mrcalabash, Dec 3, 2011.

1. mrcalabash macrumors member

This may seem like a weird question, but I was idly wondering is there a way--cable of some sort--that would charge an iPhone from an iPad. I mean, the iPad has a bigger battery, so it's theoretically possible to use some of that juice for the iPhone.

Maybe this question is only a thought experiment. I googled and found nothing.

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The problem would be that both devices would try to charge off eachother instead of just the iPhone charging from the iPad.

3. mertyz macrumors regular

mertyz

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Theoretically, it seems possible, but someone will have to make a special cable that does it, and as darngooddesign pointed out, there would need to be a way to tell the cable which device to charge. And nobody makes such a cable, and if they did, I'm not sure Apple would allow it.

5. mertyz macrumors regular

mertyz

AFAIK, the maximum voltage iPad can output is 3.3V and the maximum current a connected device can request is 20 mA.

Do the calculation :)

6. MacBill macrumors newbie

MacBill

It would be possible, but the cable would have to incorporate a diode to prevent power flow from one direction, then it would have to be pugged in the right direction because both take the same connector.

7. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

8. olesor macrumors newbie

http://www.redmondpie.com/this-gizmo-lets-you-charge-your-iphone-using-ipad-video/

It's there, it seems. But then it's one iPhone-version too late, maybe...