Charge cable scratching back of watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by LevMac, Jun 14, 2015.

1. LevMac macrumors 6502

LevMac

Hey guys, call me paranoid, but is there any kind of issue with the charging puck somehow scratching the back of the watch once its on charge? I somehow always have a feeling that if any kind of dust or debris is on the charging puck, it will create scratches on the back of the watch?

I know the back of the watch is ceramic too, just being paranoid I guess lol

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The backs ceramic not sapphire but your really worrying to much. If your ocd then wipe both before you charge.

3. zetaplus93 macrumors regular

Ceramic is pretty hard and scratches shouldn't be an issues. Had my SS since launch day and the back is scratch free.

FYI ceramic is used on the bezel of modern higher end watches like the Rolex GMT precisely for its better anti-scratch property. .

4. H3rman macrumors 6502

To be honest, my charging puck has some minor scratches on it where it touches the watch. The watch itself is perfect. Ceramic is harder than whatever material the part of the puck that makes contact is made off (white plastic I think). So the damage will always end up on the puck and not the watch.

There is nothing to worry about.

5. Polaroid macrumors 6502a

The back is ON YOUR WRIST... IT CANT BE SEEN... why are you making this an issue... and peoples till buy Apple products with scratches and dents so that cant be the issue if yu are looking to resell in future.....

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

People love Apple products because they offer an affordable illusion of a futuristic, perfect utopian lifestyle, through clean simple design.

Your life may be chaos. Your job may suck. You might be dirt poor. But your Apple watch/phone/tablet/notebook is the embodiment of perfection...everything you don't actually have in your life; good looks, status, simplicity, etc....all wrapped up in a tidy shiny object that you actually can have.

But Utopia doesn't have scratches. Scratches shatter the illusion of perfection that the object projects, and instantly remind the owner that it's not a magical slab of metal from an alternate future universe...it's as fragile and imperfect as its owner. Thus, the irrational reaction to scratches, like most irrational reactions, is based on fear.

7. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Also based on value vs wealth. I know people who constent scratch their Mercedes, and repair body scratch fairly often without care about how much they spend. Let along just $1000 less watch.

8. MaulRx Suspended

Only problem I have with the charger is that it flips over when the watch isn't on it.

9. Mac2me, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015

Mac2me macrumors 6502a

Nothing is indestructible, not even Apple products, nor are they advertised as such. Stuff that is actually used is going to get scratches. I know we all love our Apple products and worry about it just the same as getting a new car with it's first scratch but honestly think people will be happier if they just use it and take reasonable care of it.

If it were metal on metal I think you'd see scratches but the ceramic on the watch back should be fine. Your more likely to scratch your laptop with your watch band while typing on it than the back of the watch being scratched by the charger. :rolleyes:

10. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Some blu-tack sorted mine out ;)

11. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

You guess?;)

12. fm_carv macrumors member

fm_carv

same here, have a nick on the glass right in the center in between the sensors. must have been caused by the charging puck as I'm very careful with my watch.

watch.jpg

13. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

I usually sell mine when I get a nick or scratch and buy a new model. Like many others, I demand perfection.

14. fm_carv macrumors member

fm_carv

I have Apple Care + and I'm sure Apple would give a replacement free of charge as its not accidental damage, this is caused by the force of puck against the glass back every time u plug it.