Charge capacity on battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tripleh3lix, Jun 17, 2014.

1. tripleh3lix macrumors regular

tripleh3lix

My capacity is showing this after proper calibration.. I contacted Apple through the chat, she properly assisted me and told me everything was fine. I normally wouldn't trip out about it.. but I just read that it has a 6600mah battery when mine when I got it rated at about 6299:

Charge Information:
    Charge Remaining (mAh): 5504
    Fully Charged: No
    Charging: No
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): " 6156"

Specs of my machine: Macbook Pro (Late 2013 13") 2.4ghz, 8gb ram, 256SSD

2. tripleh3lix thread starter macrumors regular

tripleh3lix

My question to you is, is this a bad battery? I just got it 3 days ago. It seems a little less than what most people are reporting. It does have 6600 (according to Apple, no?)

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need to calibrate your battery, and doing so isn't good for it. The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks.

Your battery is fine. It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. The gradual decline is not in a straight line downward, and it may decline more rapidly at some times and slower at others. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

4. tripleh3lix thread starter macrumors regular

tripleh3lix

So my question is, if I keep it on battery is that fine? And discharging it till 5-10 percent is okay and won't damage the life of the battery? Or do I need to drain it halfway then charge it for best battery life and longevity?

Also, can I shut down the computer and still get the same readings if its all on battery? I hate leaving it in standby mode because it drains battery. Just curious and both articles don't mention those details. Thanks!

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.

6. tripleh3lix thread starter macrumors regular

tripleh3lix

Sweet, thanks for the help and info! Really appreciated man.