Charge Devices While Sleeping?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by A4orce84, Feb 7, 2016.

1. A4orce84, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016

A4orce84 macrumors regular

Hey Guys,

I had my rMBP with the lid closed in sleep mode, and plugged in some bluetooth headphones to charge. To my surprise, it immediately started charging before I even 'woke' up the computer.

I tried googling to see if this was normal or not. Can anyone offer some additional information?

Thanks,
    Asif

2. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

3. A4orce84 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm trying to find some more info on this feature on Google, and not finding much. Is there any 'requirements' (battery level, settings, etc.) to enable this feature and have it working properly?

4. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

Since when?

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Yes it's normal if the Macbook is sleeping.

Disconnected from power it'll provide 500ma when it's connected to power it'll provide extra depending on device.

6. A4orce84 thread starter macrumors regular

Is there any information out there that officially details this?

TIA!

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd contact Apple and ask them.

Are you worried about something?

8. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

Wow. Just checked with Apple. Looks like I've been out of the loop on this one. I know they didn't used to. But according to Apple support docs they do now.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204377

9. A4orce84 thread starter macrumors regular

No, not at all. Just want to learn about the details around it....

10. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

My early 2011 13" does it.

11. Aneef, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016

Aneef macrumors regular

Aneef

Actually every portable computer, when in sleep mode, can supply power to the USB devices connected to them. As mentioned in the above comments, the required load current is supplied as a charging current to the connected device under sleep mode when Macbook is connected to power. If not connected to the power, then Macbook's battery is drained. I actually charge my phone and my iPad by this very method. I like to keep my phone with me all the time, even when sleeping, and there is no power socket near to where I sleep. So what I do is I keep my Macbook plugged in (and Macbook is in sleep mode. Macbook's charger has a long extension cord- I don't like to keep a power extension cable on my bed), and connect the two devices to my Macbook. I've been doing this for the last 4-5 years. Did that even with my Dell too, but without laptop plugged in. Of course the devices used to drain the Dell's battery in order to charge themselves.
    As for the 'details', USBs are always meant to 'supply' power to the device connected to them. Hence if the laptop is on (even in sleep mode), the power is always available on the ports.

12. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I plug in any one of my four iPhones to charge them all the time when the 2015 MBP is closed and sleeping and the phones always charge. I hear the little beep every time I plug them in.