charge for apple to diagnose powerbook issue?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by docal97, Jul 21, 2009.

1. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

So I have a powerbook that is giving me the blinking folder with smiley face upon startup. I cannot connect to the drive via firewire with my mbp. I think that the HD is done.

So will Apple charge me a diagnostic fee to evaluate the powerbook out of warranty? Or can I get it diagnosed for free and then decide if I want to repair the computer?

Any help or experiences much appreciated!

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

I am fairly certain apple charges a $100 diagnostic fee if you elect NOT to have it repaired, and they waive it if you do.

And yes, it sounds like a dead HD to me. Probably just better to get a new one and try it out; if it doesn't work then its not the HD but odds are that will fix it.

3. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

Standard repair diagnostic costs at the place I work at (which is Apple Certified) costs $40 CAD to diagnose.

Repairs (depends what the repairs are) are in and around $30-40 per hour AND the cost of the parts that need replacing.

Logic Board: $700 - $1200 CAD (Any Cpu, Gpu failure results in this replaced)

Hard Drive: Depending on what hard drive you have, if you need the data backed up, etc it will cost at least the cost of the drive plus the repair per hour charge. Usually $100 - $150.

Screen: Not sure on this one because I have never seen someone need this replaced but my guess is $300 - $500.

I would just see if you can get a cheap 2.5" drive to see if thats the problem, if it is then buy a decent replacement 2.5" drive.

4. DavidG328 macrumors regular

I had this same issue, purchased a new HD, and it was fixed.

After that, the AC/DC went out, along with the logic board. Apple charged a flat repair fee of $310, but I got well over that in new parts. They went ahead and replaced the keyboard, and some other stuff as well.

5. docal97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

docal97

I was thinking of just replacing the HD myself, based on the logical assumption that it is the issue. I just didn't want to spend $100 or so on the part and then be wrong, b/c then I can't return the part(obviously). I am not even sure how Apple could run their diagnostic program on the system.

But I think that I am just going to take my chances and replace it, using the Ifixit references. I have never opened a laptop, but I have assembled quite a few windows based systems b4 I left the dark side for MAC!!

I wanted to recover some of my sons songs off the drive, but I can't even connect to it, using my MBP.