Charge new MacBook via MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bobsaget123, Apr 21, 2015.

1. bobsaget123 macrumors member

First off, I have to say I've been using a 2009 15'' Macbook since it first came out and it finally was showing some age. When the new Macbook came out, I thought the 12'' would be far too small for me to do my work and had no intentions of buying it; however, seeing it in person made me an instant believer-- the screen real estate is actually similar to that of my 15'' at the highest resolution, so I can fit everything onto my screen, and the laptop itself is just incredible.

But back to the question at hand...

If I purchased a USB-C to USB cord such as the one linked below, could I plug this into my old MacBook USB port (that is connected to power) and have it charge my MacBook? If so, would it be slow in charging, or like having the new MacBook plugged into its regular charger. Thanks for any info.

http://www.belkin.com/us/F2CU029/p/P-F2CU029/

2. noobinator macrumors 601

That adapter is more expensive than Apples. I'd just buy an Apple one. Not sure how charging it would work. Very slowly I believe due to the output of the USB on the MBP.

3. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Good question. It is confirmed in reviews that an iPad wall charger will charge th MB. What is the USB 2.0 max volt and watt output for power? IF it does work, it will be slower charging than from either the charger included or the iPad wall charger...probably more like charging it with the iPhone charger...

4. bobsaget123 thread starter macrumors member

Does Apple sell that same cable? I haven't seen one for sale on their website.

5. noobinator macrumors 601

6. bobsaget123 thread starter macrumors member

7. maclook macrumors 65816

I have a Google usb-c to usb-a cord coming in the mail which cost $15. While it's only capable of 2.0 transfer speeds, I believe the power outputs are the same as the Belkin (not 100% sure). My plan is to test charging from an iMac.

8. bobsaget123 thread starter macrumors member

If you could let me know how that goes, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks

9. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

The charging will probably work with a USB-C to USB-A cable, but it will be significantly slower, as the current USB-A ports on Apple computers are likely only capable of the typical 10-12W that an iPad needs but nothing more.