charge problem question for the experts

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aacf, Sep 19, 2013.

1. aacf macrumors newbie

is just bought a mac mini today to replace my macbook. I still am trying to fix it though, the charger steadily flashes green and the battery cycles from charging to not. It has done this for a couple of months reliably but in the last week started not charging at all. I bought a new magsafe and that wasn't it so I unplugged the battery and it will start up and run off of the charger green light stays on like it should. Thought probably a battery problem so borrowed a good one and tried that, same problem. I took it to the local apple service center and after doing everthing i did the said it was the logic board. I wonder if its not the dc i/o board. is there a way to pin this down?????????? Thanks in advance for your time and info.

2. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

well you could try replacing the dc in board and see if it solves your issue. First ensure all latest firmwares and updates are applied. If nothing solves it can be an issue with the smc chip there is a thread running on this forum you could browse through it and see if you can repair it instead of plonking a bomb for a new board.

3. aacf thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks nick, i agree dc i/o board apears to be about $30. Do I roll the dice on that or sell it for parts...... kinda like to have an extra machine plus the challenge of fixing it is kinda priceless...

4. raptor402 macrumors 6502

The DC I/O board will be a long shot in my opinion. Worth a try, though, but maybe not for $30.

5. aacf thread starter macrumors newbie

rap thanks for the input. I tend to think you are right and so does the apple service center, but is there any way to diagnose it or is throwing parts at it the only way to pin it down. thanks

6. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

you can swap the part with a friends or someones macbook to check if its working alright.