Charge time/status

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by designerdrew, May 28, 2015.

1. designerdrew macrumors newbie

designerdrew

Hi all, just bought a MacBook 12", much faster than I thought it would be running Photoshop and Illustrator, pleased so far. Suddenly realised on powering it from the mains that there's no charge light so I haven't got a clue when it has reached full charge without switching it on, there is no light on the plug end either. I know this is a stripped down machine to keep it small and light, but I think this is a relatively easy thing that didn't need to be lost, or am I missing a bulb?

2. Dayv macrumors 6502

You're not missing a bulb, it just doesn't have an external indicator anymore. External battery indicator lights on the case were lost for thinness (first on the MacBook Air, then in the MacBook Pro to Retina MacBook Pro transition), and an indicator light on the USB-C cable would be very unusual for a much simpler, multipurpose cable.

It only takes a couple of hours to reach a full charge with the supplied power adapter, and they added the same sound cue when plugging it in that iPhones and iPads have so you have some indicator when you've successfully connected the cable.

That said, I might miss the indicator light as much as I do the magnetic function of MagSafe.

3. facrat macrumors member

If it's switched off and the lid is open, when you plug in power it will flash a battery meter on the screen like with iPads. Not a perfect solution, as you have to unplug then replug again to check. On the other hand, it charges quickly so there's perhaps less need to check it often.

4. designerdrew thread starter macrumors newbie

designerdrew

Quick responses

Thanks for the swift replies. :)