Charge when battery is low

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vmachiel, May 31, 2011.

1. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Hi,

is it possible (or is there an app) to let the charging of the battery start when it hits 5% for example? Like, you have some left, but you want to plug in the cord an leave, and have the charging hold until 5% since draining it completely every now and then is good for the battery.

Thanks

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

It doesn't matter for the battery, you can charge it at any level you want, they don't have a memory effect anymore.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

Although that article was helpful, it didn't state why you shouldn't keep your laptop plugged in, do these batteries have memory? Should I not charge it to 100% if it's at 45%?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes it does. If you click on the first link under the AC POWER section near the bottom, you'll read:
    No, they don't have the memory effect of NiCd batteries. It's fine to charge it at any time, whether it's fully drained, 20%, 45%, 88%.... it makes no difference. Just run on battery when you need to and plug it in when you can.

6. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

I did see that, but I want to make sure they didn't suggest that due to memory problems.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is no memory effect with the lithium-polymer batteries used in Apple notebooks. That means you can drain and recharge any time you need to, without regard to the percentage of charge available at any time. That doesn't suggest that the battery shouldn't be used on a regular basis to keep it healthy. The two are unrelated.

8. duffmanth macrumors member

I was told to let the battery drain down to 20% then charge it.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It doesn't matter what percentage you drain it to. Read the Battery FAQ for facts.

10. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I think you're the only one I know who constantly talks on the Battery questions in the forums. You're the Battery Guru!

11. gaps macrumors member

gaps

12. gaps macrumors member

gaps

You just cleared up some myths for alot of people

13. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

Agreed! But other than at least occasional full discharging/charging, is there anyway to prolong the life of a battery?

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not full discharging/recharging. That only needs to be done during calibration. If you read the Battery FAQ, you would have seen:
    The 50% isn't a hard number, either. 35%, 45%, 60%... anything is fine, as long as you don't just drop it to 90% and recharge. In other words, actually use your battery. That's all you really need to do to keep it healthy. Honestly, too many people obsess too much about their batteries, when simply using them will take care of most situations.

15. JamDonut macrumors member

For what its worth GGJstudios you are epic, this is something me and my friends are always discussing, i'll be pleased to finally be able to point them at this thread and say "theirs your answer" you also cleared this up for me i did worry about it i must admit. Thanks!