Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Charge Your iPhone in the Bathtub With Mophie's New Juice Pack H2Pro

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular iPhone accessory maker Mophie is known for its line of battery cases and external backup batteries, which provide extra power at a decent price. The company introduced battery cases for the iPhone 6 early this year, but as of today, Mophie's got an all new iPhone 6 battery case with a brand new feature -- water protection.

The Juice Pack H2Pro is Mophie's first waterproof product, combining the extra power provided with a battery case with protection from the elements. According to Mophie, the H2Pro has an IP-68 rating (and a military rating of MIL-STD 810G), which means the case will work even when submerged for an extended period of time (1.2m for 30 minutes). In addition to being waterproof, it's also going to keep dust and dirt away from the iPhone, and it offers protection against drops.

Since it offers total device protection, there's a flexible membrane over the front of the phone's display, which Mophie says allows for complete access to Touch ID and the touch screen of the iPhone. There are also integrated mute switch, volume, and lock buttons so every iPhone feature remains accessible.

Like Mophie's $100 Juice Pack Air, the Juice Pack H2Pro offers a 2,750 mAh battery. The iPhone 6 has a 1,810 mAh battery, so the H2Pro can offer approximately one and a half charges. There's a power button on the case to toggle power on and off so it can be used without draining the extra battery capacity.

The H2Pro is 0.69 inches thick (17.4mm), so it's going to more than double the thickness of the iPhone 6 (6.9mm), but that's not unusual for cases that offer heavy drop protection and waterproofing.

The Juice Pack H2Pro can be pre-ordered from Mophie's website for $129.95. It's estimated to begin shipping out to buyers in late May.

Article Link: Charge Your iPhone in the Bathtub With Mophie's New Juice Pack H2Pro

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
I am definitely getting this, but my only suggestion is, why not incorporate the space pack into this as well. That would make this the ultimate accessory (even though it already is). BTW, to anyone looking at this VS Lifeproof, I have been beyond disappointed with Lifeproofs iPhone 6 cases so far (both nuud and fre). I have high hopes for this case, especially since Mophie cases have the best ergonomics out of all the battery cases I tried so far.

Comment

Yellowbean12

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
When the case inevitably fails in the tub, do you get a refund for the iPhone and the case, or just the case?

Comment

SixtyK

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
Nebraska
People are posting about showering with their Apple Watches so why not bathing with their iPhones? Seems the logical next step.

Comment

JackANSI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
I wish they would do two versions... one with a center mounted lightning connector and one with the microUSB.

I see the benefit of the microUSB (plugging into just about any charger), except it won't work with any of my lightning based docks, my car, my stands, my accessories, etc...

This is the same reason I eventually stopped using my battery case with my iPhone 4S, I had so many things I needed the 30-pin for and none of them worked with microUSB.

I'd buy this in a heartbeat if it just had a lightning connector on the outside.

MicroUSB? Nope.

Comment

AngerDanger

macrumors 601
Dec 9, 2008
Sometimes it's fun to read MacRumors' article titles and imagine them being yelled to somebody at gunpoint.

CHARGE!.png

Last edited:
Comment

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
If they allow swappable batteries, I'm in. This is ridiculous to me. I've burned through too many of these things to just buy it outright, when I can return my iphone when it gets too low for nothing (and then, time to buy a new one when I can't)...:rolleyes:

Comment

cdm283813

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2015
"Charge Your iPhone in the Bathtub With Mophie's New Juice Pack H2Pro"

I did not read the full story but the title is highly misleading and is very dangerous. You should never charge anything while in the bathtub even if the case is waterproof. Even if the title was a joke there are people that will take that as truth.
I've seen the official lighting cables go bad after awhile and a frayed wire is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Not funny Macrumors!

Comment

Waxhead138

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012

I did not read the full story but the title is highly misleading and is very dangerous. You should never charge anything while in the bathtub even if the case is waterproof. Even if the title was a joke there are people that will take that as truth.
I've seen the official lighting cables go bad after awhile and a frayed wire is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Not funny Macrumors!

Yeah, upon the reading the headline...what went through my head was pretty much this:

Much like participating in a riot, or drunk driving......just because you Could doesn't mean you Should.

Comment

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003

You are charging one battery via another battery which are encased together in a 'waterproof' case. It is not as if other waterproof electronic devices don't have batteries inside.

For sure, any case can develop leaks. If you threw a standard battery into water, I would expect the battery to short itself. I would expect that alone already being potentially dangerous in terms of heat development, fire (though underwater that is a lesser danger) or even some explosive destruction. Don't really know about the electrocution potential in this case (certainly depends on the size of the battery). Of course with leaks, only one of the poles of the battery could be exposed to water, in which case electricity will certainly flow through the water. But then we have waterproof phones and cameras and I don't remember them being considered a danger in a pool or bathtub.

Comment

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Yeah, upon the reading the headline...what went through my head was pretty much this:

Much like participating in a riot, or drunk driving......just because you Could doesn't mean you Should.

I had to read the headline a few times. It's misleading. Accurate, but misleaded. As the mophie itself charges the iPhone's internal battery all within the case. It sounds like you are plugging in the case/phone into the wall charger based on the headline - but that's not clear.

Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Except that you can in fact charge your phone using this Mophie case while it is submerged in water (like in a bathtub).

Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
When the case inevitably fails in the tub, do you get a refund for the iPhone and the case, or just the case?

Neither since both would still be functional and basically the same as before. That's pretty much the whole point.

Comment

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
When i clicked on this i expected to see something that would convert water into electricity or something mind blowing. The article left a lot to be desired.

Comment

J. Jizzle

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2013
U.S.A.
I won't be getting one. From what I know or have heard with other so called water-proof, dust-proof cases on the market is you can barely hear someone talking when using the case.

Comment

willed

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2007
Great news

One of the main reasons I bought a JuicePack is for travel to places where regular access to power isn't a given. These sort of places often have high dust/humidity/likelihood of phone damage, so merging these two products is great news for those who want to use their iPhones in 'hostile' environments... and for those who have a burning desire to charge their phone in the bathtub of course...!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.