Charged at Shipping Or At Pre-Order?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Shinobi026, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Shinobi026 macrumors newbie

Just wondering as I'm going to be having an iPhone 5 and an iPad mini coming out just hours before the magical payday!

2. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

3. scorpio1973 macrumors 6502a

They charge at shipping. But, if you are using a debit card, Apple will usually do a pre-authorization on your account for the full amount. This stays on your account for a couple of days and then falls off.

Just something to keep in mind.

4. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

How about when you pick it up at the store? I was able to order an iPhone 5 online last week. It was available at a local store so I picked it up the next morning. Didn't notice when the charge went through. That was only 12 hours vs 2 weeks.

5. scorpio1973 macrumors 6502a

In my experience, I have always noticed they do a pre-auth when I purchase something with my debit card whether online or at the Apple store. Maybe it depends on the financial institution, but this is how it has always work in my case.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I ordered a Macbook Air CTO for store pickup and they charged my card when it shipped.

7. Shinobi026 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replys guys,
    this is similar to what some hotels in london do so it makes sense to me
    looks like i'll be pre-ordering =]

8. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

The real question though, is thus:

Let's say for argument's sake that you have a £500 credit card limit. You then order an iPhone 5 online along with the customary 4 week wait. Apple pre-authorises your card and it's maxed out.

Then, you manage to get hold of an iPhone 5 in-store. You go to use your credit card.

Question: does it get declined or do you walk out with an iPhone?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

They don't charge for the full amount until it ships, so you would be okay. I have seen a preauthorize for one dollar by Apple just to make sure the card is legit though.