Charged for "free" $100 Giftcard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pab277, Aug 11, 2011.

1. pab277 macrumors regular

I recently purchased a Macbook Pro from Apple's Education Store and I received both the laptop and printer I purchased as well as the $100 gift card. My bank statement shows three separate purchases. They charged me $1282.27 for the the laptop, $108 for the printer, and a separate $100 charge. All transactions have been posted and are no longer pending. Should I call Apple or is this normal?

2. treestar macrumors 6502

3. jeffgao macrumors newbie

Have a look at your invoice for the computer. If it shows a $100 discount (to match up the $100 charge for the gift card), then it is normal.

You can also do the math to see if the three charges sum up to what your total should be.

4. pab277 thread starter macrumors regular

The invoice total (with the promotion attached) matches what my bank statement totals up to. I hadn't noticed that earlier. Thanks for the help!

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

They have to show the card itself for inventory purposes. I gather your math showed that the discount did apply, right?

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

A couple of years ago I bought a Macbook Pro and got a "free" iPod Touch. I wound up paying for the iPod touch and waiting for a check from Apple which didn't take too long to come. I would think they wouldn't do this for the gift cards, and would apply the discount immediately at checkout, but it's worth checking into whether you got the discount on the spot or is there a $100 check coming in the mail.

7. treestar macrumors 6502

But there is also a BTS discount. The buyer should be credited for the BTS promotion AND the $100 for the card.

8. jeffgao macrumors newbie

Isn't the BTS promotion the "free" $100 gift card?

In my invoices they are like this:

Macbook Air Invoice:
    Education Price: $1249
    Discount: - $100
    Total: $1149
    Tax: (whatever based on $1149)

Gift Card Invoice:
    Price: $100

So in total I'm still paying the right total amount (with a little bit saving on tax), although they made two charges for each of the invoices on my card.

9. treestar macrumors 6502

Ah, yes. You should be OK! I was worried that the Education Discount was a separate item, but it is the "Education Price". And, yes, the BTS special is just the gift card and whatever discount you got on the printer. I think this would have been clear to everyone if you mentioned in the beginning the computer model you purchased.

10. jeffgao macrumors newbie

Come on, I'm not the OP.

I know my purchase was fine. I just want to show the OP that if he/she has invoices like mine, he/she'd be fine.