Charged for free gift card

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gentlefury, Jul 6, 2012.

1. gentlefury macrumors 68030

OK, I'm confused. Educator discount is supposed to give you a free $100 gift card. I got charged for the gift card. Does that mean I will get $100 off the price of the unit to make up for it?

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

You didn't add a gift card to your shopping cart did you? They give it to you automatically.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Look at the final total, you'll see a discount of a 100 dollars which offsets the charge

4. gentlefury thread starter macrumors 68030

I saw that on my invoice, but I still got charged for the card. I just wanted to check in with other people that bought this way that they got a $100 discount applied to the unit. I'm assuming that's the case...just wanted to hear from someone that got it.

5. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Apple's website glitches sometimes and does charge you, just keep trying and if it's still charging you. Place your order by phone and they'll fix it.

You did go through the educational website, right??

6. vladzaharia macrumors regular

They charge for the gift card, then discount your total. You pay $100 less when the Macbook ships. It's so that (a) it can be loaded with money and (b) if you cancel your order and have already redeemed the credit, they don't have to do anything because you already paid for it.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Here's what I show in my invoice

Attached Files:

8. gentlefury thread starter macrumors 68030

That makes sense, thanks!

[​IMG]

yup, got it.

9. spdntrxi macrumors regular

Eggactly

10. angelomango macrumors newbie

angelomango

F.Y.I. for anyone who decides to return (for whatever reason) an Apple.com-ordered Mac that got the Back-to-School $100 gift card (since I went through this not too long ago):

When I went to the Apple Store for the return, they told me that they "couldn't" return the unused gift card (it was also charged separately as $100). Apparently, the proper way to go about doing the Apple.com return for the full amount is to return the Mac in-store (or ship it). At which point, you will still be down $100. Then, you have to call the Apple number (I forgot what it is haha) and explain how the store wouldn't accept the unused gift card and that you want a refund. They will then open a case for your request then proceed to refunding your money (and deactivating your gift card) through iTunes. The refund should show up in your account (if you used a credit card) soon after.

I doubt many of you will have to go through this, but I wanted to share. :)

11. Macloven macrumors regular

Macloven

Just ordered my rmbp today education discount and didn't get the credit for$100. Called apple and they adjusted the sales price down $100 with no explanation. And now I wait 3-4 weeks:eek:

12. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

I can understand the frustration with this. I waited 3 weeks to receive a retina macbook pro that had a pressure mark behind the screen. Took it to the apple store and returned it, however since I had already loaded the $100 gift card onto my iTunes account I couldn't get the $100 back for it. So I got my total minus $100 refund.

I ordered another one the other day, and it's actually ~$15 more expensive to remove the gift card because of how the -$100 effects the tax amount.

I won't be using this gift card until I know my machine is not ****ed up this time.

13. brand macrumors 601

brand

Why? I don't think Apple will issue a refund for an unused gift card. At least that is what others have said in this thread.

14. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

If you call them they can deactivate the gift card code and then refund you. You just can't do it in store.

15. brand macrumors 601

brand

So you've done this before?

16. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

The person I spoke to when I was complaining about it said that had I not already used the card, he could have deactivated it and refunded the money.

17. angelomango macrumors newbie

angelomango

Apple will issue a refund (assuming you got the free $100 gift card) if: 1) they see in their system that you have processed a return for a Mac 2) the gift card is unused