Charged for the educational gift card

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by 7LSeven, Jun 14, 2012.

1. 7LSeven macrumors newbie

Just a heads up. I ordered a BTO 11" MBA on Monday and was charged $100 for the "free" educational gift card promotion. It took two calls to Apple to sort it out. The first time they claimed that the $100 was taken off the subtotal for the computer, I didn't have the numbers in front of me so I accepted this. I then went to the online store and configured the MBA on both the normal and edu store and it turns out that I was indeed charged $100 for the card. The second call to Apple resulted in them making the same argument, after pointing out that the normal price was $1649, the edu price before putting it in the cart was $1544, and if the $100 was already taken off, that meant that the edu discount was only $5. The CSR finally agreed, and escalated it to a "high level manager" and after 10 minutes on hold was told that I shouldn't have been charged and will be credited the $100.

I'm sure it was just a software error with the store but please check your invoice! I can't be the only one.

2. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

I remember when I was pricing things out on Monday that there was a message across the top stating something alongs the lines of the credit not being applied and to call apple to complete the order.

3. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Mine was charged as well, but I still haven't been charged for the MBA. Once it receive everything, I will see how much they charged me and contact them if I need to.

4. dyn macrumors 68030

I've seen something like that as well but...the total price was the exact same price as the MacBook Air configuration I picked. When I remove the gift card the total price does not change. In other words: it really is free even though it shows up in the cart for a certain amount of money.

5. 7LSeven thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't fuss over it immediately either, thinking that it might just be an unusual way of invoicing and so I waited until it showed up on my credit card statement, and it was indeed actually charged to the card, confirmed by the Apple rep.

6. saleemyas3 macrumors regular

The gift card isnt even in my invoice. I need them to send it out to me

7. TheWelshBoyo macrumors 6502

Same thing happened to us. Just had to call the Apple Store and they sorted it out for us :)
    Picked up a new MacBook Air yesterday. Loving it so far - my first Mac! It's so powerful too.