Charged/Percentage Discrepancy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fujikon, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Fujikon macrumors member

When I switch between displaying "time" and "percentage" on my battery indicator on the upper right of the screen - I see "charged" for time and "99%" for percentage. Shouldn't it say 100% if it's fully charged? My MBP is only a couple of days old by the way.

2. jmcclain145 macrumors regular

jmcclain145

This may not be the best answer, however my three Previous MacBooks all did the same thing.

I've had a 13" mid 2009 Pro, 15" mid 2009 Pro and currently a 15" mid 2010 pro.

It maybe because I haven't followed Apples discharge and recharge battery guide. I still get a solid 6-7 hours depending on the preferences I have turned on, so I'm not to concerned.

Is your battery life being affected?

3. Fujikon thread starter macrumors member

I have not fully tested the battery life yet.

4. jmcclain145 macrumors regular

jmcclain145

Again, you should be fine, as I mentioned my Mac's have all done this as well and none of them suffered battery life.

If your really worried, try the 100% charge, then remove from power source, let battery deplete ALL the way and leave powered off for I believe 5 hours, then charge fully again.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

I googled the issue, and what I read, it seems to be a calibration thing. Follow the steps in the link posted and all should be good, I'm going to do the same on my new Pro today! :)

5. Pax macrumors 6502a

If you fully charge the battery, then run it down a small amount (a few percent) it won't charge it back up again. This is for complicated technical reasons to do with battery longevity.

IIRC the magic number is 95%. If you discharge your Mac down to 96%, it will sit at 96% forever until you discharge it below 95%. Then it will charge back up to 100%.

So I think your behaviour is normal.

You can check by using your Mac on its battery for 15 minutes or so, until it has dropped below the magic 95% (if that's the right number). Then if you plug it back in it should charge back up to 100%.

I think this is written up somewhere on the Apple site.

6. Fujikon thread starter macrumors member

7. mixvio macrumors 6502

This.

Rechargeable batteries naturally discharge over time, and it actually hurts the battery life for the computer to maintain it at a consistent 100% all the time.

It's very common for laptops these days to leave it discharging once it's hit 100%, until the battery's charge drops below a certain point.

It's perfectly normal and all laptops do this, not just Apple.