Charged Twice..? Pre-ordered @ AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bshef, Jun 15, 2010.

1. bshef macrumors member

I apologize if this has been brought up in another thread.. I did some searching and couldn't find anything specific to my situation.

I pre-ordered a 32G iPhone this morning through my local AT&T store.

Initially the transaction didn't go through but the associate told me that he would notify me later on towards the end of his work day assuring me that I had paid for the phone in full. The total charge was $325. and some change. (I was eligible for the standard upgrade) This transaction has now gone through my account and the money has been taken out. So therefore I thought I was in the clear..

I checked my bank account around an hour ago and noticed that there was an additional transaction pending, mind you, for $325. and some change. I was uncertain where exactly this had come from because the associate had assured me that I had it paid for and I was in the clear.

I just got off the phone with AT&T support asking them if they could help me identify the charge. I couldn't get a definite answer from them. The rep suggested that I contact my bank and see what they can do about it.

I guess I'm asking what should I do or what steps should I take to get this charge taken off.

Thanks,

2. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

3. bshef thread starter macrumors member

I only wanted one!

Hopefully an AT&T rep can get this settled.

4. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

If you actually get shipped two phones at the subsidized price, I highly suggest ebay. lol.

5. bshef thread starter macrumors member

I just want my money back!

Thanks for the response though.

6. webmattster macrumors newbie

Same exact thing happened to me. I pointed it out to the guy at AT&T and he told me that I had to call the AT&T customer service. So I called customer service and they said it has to go through the AT&T store manager. I talked to the sales guy back at AT&T and he said that I needed to wait because apple might go through and cancel the wrong orders and that it was just pending so it would go away. I will be going back to AT&T tomorrow to try and get this worked out, hopefully.

7. RoarinRow macrumors regular

RoarinRow

I accidentally bought two as well. I guess my wife will have an early Christmas present lol.

8. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

looks like this happened to me also, but i think the first one is from when they manually did it at the store, and then again when the order was processed.

9. jcapz macrumors member

Thats weird because I preordered and I don't have any activity on my card yet. I checked my order status on AT&T site and it is processed so I am sure it went through. My friend who works at the store said that it is put on as a hold on the credit card till the 24th. Now I'm confused because I'm reading of people who see the charge processed.

10. bshef thread starter macrumors member

EXACTLY! We're in the same boat. Hopefully this mess gets sorted out soon.. for everyone that's having billing issues. I was thoroughly frustrated with the lack of information and basically the run-around that the reps gave me today. I'll try and have some patience because this whole thing is a mess.

Thanks for the replies.

11. Godzirra! macrumors regular

Godzirra!

This is how I know there will be plenty of stock on launch day.

12. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

13. bshef thread starter macrumors member

14. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Yeah be careful on getting anyone too involved yet.

The second charge might fade away and not actually go through. If you get them to actively do anything they could end up canceling your whole order.

I would wait it out and see if the charge posts, if you can handle it, and if it does then get a refund. Having a vendor mess with a pending charge has the potential to cause problems.

15. bshef thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I'll be sure to keep that in mind. I'll give it a few days and see if it will take care of itself.

16. HFields macrumors newbie

any updates?

I ordered on 6/30 in an at&t store and was charged immediately. Today I just came off back order and a duplicate charge for the same amount was just posted to my card. I dont want to call my bank or at&t untill i get a shipping number and I see its on the way.

I;m wondering if the second charge dissappeared when the orders mentioned above were actually shipped?