Charger and adaptor

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Bowser-23, May 19, 2015.

1. Bowser-23 macrumors newbie

Where are you buying extra chargers and USB-C to USB-A adaptors?

2. No-Me macrumors 6502a

In the apple store :)

Bought a couple of USB-C > USB-A adapters on Ebay, but they don't work very well.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

4. rahulr macrumors regular

Amazon and Monoprice.

5. KPOM macrumors G5

6. thedeske macrumors 6502a

A few items available, but no competition for the Dig AV from Apple .. Yet.
    Power pass through and multi USB 3 would suite many, but I don't see that either. Hopefully soon.

7. crucius macrumors regular

Or just buy a USB-A male to USB-C male cable and use a standard USB power adapter (with enough power output, obviously).

8. uczmeg macrumors newbie

Not sure it's viable, but I want a magsafe (both versions) to USB C adaptor so I can continue to use the power supplies we have already and avoid the need to pay for more, and, more importantly not have to plug in more adaptors....

9. wkrp28 macrumors newbie

wkrp28

That would be great, but I'm not holding my breath given the stranglehold that Apple has on everything related to MagSafe connectors.

10. dimension6 macrumors newbie

That's a negative, I think. Apple wants you to buy new adapters/cables, of course :)

What I'd like to see is a tiny USB-C power splitter so I can charge multiple devices from the Apple charger. That would be really useful for traveling, as I'd be able to charge my Watch/iPhone from the same adapter at the same time.

If anyone's interested, I'm charging my MacBook right now from an AC outlet USB port in my wall that I installed awhile back (it puts out 2A@5V). It keeps the MacBook nicely at 100% and charges slowly but it will lose charge slowly if I'm doing anything intensive.

11. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

Haha. MagSafe to go USB-C adapter - that will never happen. Have you seen any 3rd party MagSafe accessories? Me neither. The reason for that is simple - Apple doesn't license MagSafe, and they will gladly sue anyone who tries to make something like this into non-existence.

12. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

This, and the fact that a tiny magsafe connector would disconnect very easily. If would not be good to have a drive corrupted from a premature disconnect. IMO magsafe is good for power and that about it. I boot off external drive from frequentky and would not take a chance with a magsafe data connection.

13. uczmeg macrumors newbie

Apple released a tiny Magsafe 1 to magsafe 2 connector. Hoped they would do the same, but I guess power output could be an issue.

I'm quite impressed I've not lost the little thing the past 3 years...

14. wkrp28 macrumors newbie

wkrp28

15. nc11 macrumors member

Amazon UK has a few. Ordered a cable and an adapter. Will use the cable to charge with an iPad/iPhone charger, and the adapter for the lightning cable of the same devices.

16. Robbenisland macrumors member

Having now fully switched over to the Macbook (from the rMBP) I had to order 4 chargers and 4 cables and 3 HDMI adapters (two work setups + for travel). Pretty nice business Apple has with that alone when you calculate the total for those alone. Similar like the Lightning switch some years ago. Well, at least USB C should last a while.

17. palmwangja macrumors regular

palmwangja

wow, they already built one....

look forward to hearing from you

18. wkrp28 macrumors newbie

wkrp28

It may be a while. I got a very generic shipping notice saying "Under normal circumstance, the package should be there within 10-45 business days." The tracking number doesn't seem to be in the system yet. I'll post here when I get it.

19. wkrp28 macrumors newbie

wkrp28

I received the adapter and so far it works. It looks like a surplus Magsafe female component was used, but that is speculation on my part. NOTE, this is the original MagSafe 1, NOT MagSafe 2.

This seems to work as a way of repurposing your old MagSafe 1 chargers, but I can't vouch for longevity or other aspects of it at this point.

20. palmwangja macrumors regular

palmwangja

Thanks for the report, what about the charging speed?? I guess MagSafe will charge fast considering it has at least 45W.

21. wkrp28 macrumors newbie

wkrp28

I haven't tested the speed, but I didn't notice it being abnormally slow.