Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chris7197

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Hi all, my son has an iPad 8th Gen (2020) and we found today that part of a Lightning cable had snapped inside (not just a small fragment, quite a lot). My prior experience has taught me to try using glue and to try to pry it out, but I’ve had no luck at all and it actually looks like the stuck cable end is crumbling!

The iPad is still under warranty but I’d be very shocked if this warrants a free replacement, so I’m willing to try anything else to get it working.

Any tips?

Attachments

• B7A1980C-3DD1-43B4-9ACB-ABB5A528F463.png
    B7A1980C-3DD1-43B4-9ACB-ABB5A528F463.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,957
  • B7A1980C-3DD1-43B4-9ACB-ABB5A528F463.png
    B7A1980C-3DD1-43B4-9ACB-ABB5A528F463.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 176
  • Wow
Reactions: KayEm6419

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I’d contact Apple first and show them your documented issue. Better to ask them first and then consider alternatives if that alley fails. Best success!

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Part of the problem is that the Lightning port has a spring-loaded latching mechanism that latches into indents in the narrow sides of the Lightning connector, to prevent it from coming out.
Assuming this was a genuine Apple Lightning connector, it must have taken quite a bit of force to break it, as it is encased in aluminum. I am also surprised you cannot see remnants of the the PCB protruding. (Now covered by glue?)
btw, I have found that third party/fake Lightning cables do not work as well as Apple cables: they often charge much slower and have inconsistent connections. They usually do not have gold-plated contacts. The Lightning cable is not just a dumb wire, it has a chip in it.

Last edited:

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
get yourself a Dumont Nr. 5 or visit your local anatomy, neurobiology, surgery lab/department etc.… or electronic store, they probably will you lend one for a few minutes when ask nicely. Depending on what kind of glue you used (did this really ever worked?) you will be able to clean out the port.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
This is a fairly common repair job for third party repair shops to replace the Lightning flex cable and port. Should cost less than $50 for the job.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
get yourself a Dumont Nr. 5 or visit your local anatomy, neurobiology, surgery lab/department etc.… or electronic store, they probably will you lend one for a few minutes when ask nicely. Depending on what kind of glue you used (did this really ever worked?) you will be able to clean out the port.
Right. Poke a metal forceps into an electrical connector (or for that matter, a metal screwdriver, metal screw, etc.). Let's hear it for potential (pun intended) short circuits and electrostatic discharges, and for harder metals damaging the softer metals that make up the port's electrical contacts.

Whether to remove a broken-off connector or to fish-out accumulated pocket lint, a softer, non-conductive tool (wood or plastic) is a safer way to go. It's true, plastic and wood are less likely to be successful when brute strength may be required, but they call it brute for a reason - what good would an empty port do, if the port is permanently damaged by the "fix?"

This is a fairly common repair job for third party repair shops to replace the Lightning flex cable and port. Should cost less than $50 for the job.
Would a shop in the First World charge as little as $50 to do that job? Perhaps for an iPhone, which is much easier to open and re-seal. iPads are significantly more trouble to service in the field. I'm seeing far higher rates for this job for recent-model iPads (like the iPad 8) - half the price of a new iPad, or even more.

If you have an Apple Store nearby, bring it in for an evaluation. If they can fish out the broken connector at no charge then it's a "win." If not, you can decline the repair quote and decide whether you want to shop around for a cheaper repair.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Right. Poke a metal forceps into an electrical connector (or for that matter, a metal screwdriver, metal screw, etc.). Let's hear it for potential (pun intended) short circuits and electrostatic discharges, and for harder metals damaging the softer metals that make up the port's electrical contacts.
you are of course right. but then again I assumed that the iPad - due to the overall condition - is discharged.

So the OP should let the iPad discharge before doing anything.

This is a lightning port - assuming that you are careful/have some experience working with pcbs&co. damaging the contacts by removing the male-part of the connector which is stuck inside is unlikely. In its current condition documented in the photos and taking in account that applying glue was considered a valid option in the first place, the @JPack’s advice to take it to a shop/professional seems solid.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Would a shop in the First World charge as little as $50 to do that job? Perhaps for an iPhone, which is much easier to open and re-seal. iPads are significantly more trouble to service in the field. I'm seeing far higher rates for this job for recent-model iPads (like the iPad 8) - half the price of a new iPad, or even more.

If you have an Apple Store nearby, bring it in for an evaluation. If they can fish out the broken connector at no charge then it's a "win." If not, you can decline the repair quote and decide whether you want to shop around for a cheaper repair.

For in-store repair, you’re right, it’ll cost more because of rent and advertising. This repair takes an hour or less. It might seem more difficult than an iPhone job due to soldering but because iPad is a bigger device, the parts are easier to work with.

The design of the iPad 8th Gen hasn’t changed since the iPad Air (2013) except an enlarged chassis so most techs are very well versed in this job.

Apple Store will simply charge $249 for a replacement iPad in this case.

Chris7197

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Thank you everyone - i made a Genius Bar appointment for today yesterday, but told myself they wouldn’t do anything and nearly cancelled itZ I was about to pay a local repair shop (who to be honest I was a bit wary/skeptical of) £50 fix - he didn’t turn up so ended up changing the Genius Bar anyway.

The tech wasn’t hopeful he could fish it but said he’d give it his best shot, 15 minutes later he comes back and managed to fish it out! And it still charges perfectly.

Couldn’t believe they did this for free too, amazing :)

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Thank you everyone - i made a Genius Bar appointment for today yesterday, but told myself they wouldn’t do anything and nearly cancelled itZ I was about to pay a local repair shop (who to be honest I was a bit wary/skeptical of) £50 fix - he didn’t turn up so ended up changing the Genius Bar anyway.

The tech wasn’t hopeful he could fish it but said he’d give it his best shot, 15 minutes later he comes back and managed to fish it out! And it still charges perfectly.

That kind of service from the provider is how Apple keeps customers, as well as gaining new ones from happy word of mouth. Glad you got it fixed.

KayEm6419

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2020

Thanks for the update, Chris7197. What a relief for you and your son.

I love a happy ending! ?

Best, KM

Last edited:
Reactions: JD2015

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts

For in-store repair, you’re right, it’ll cost more because of rent and advertising. This repair takes an hour or less. It might seem more difficult than an iPhone job due to soldering but because iPad is a bigger device, the parts are easier to work with.

The design of the iPad 8th Gen hasn’t changed since the iPad Air (2013) except an enlarged chassis so most techs are very well versed in this job.

Apple Store will simply charge $249 for a replacement iPad in this case.
In your original post you said "shop," and I used the same word in my reply.

As far as quibbling goes... That eBay vendor claims they are a "trusted repair center" with multiple techs, so chances are they do pay rent in some sort or other, even if not at higher, Main Street storefront rates. And the percentage that eBay takes on the transaction certainly can be classified as "advertising." Altogether, if we agree that $50 is a too-low price when those factors are accounted for... We get back to, "If something seems too good to be true, it's probably not."

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017

That's great, but curious minds want to know - didn't you ask him how he managed to get it out?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.