Charger cable tearing - Any tips?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ReL1988, May 9, 2016.

1. ReL1988 macrumors member

Hi,

My rMBP 13" (2014) charger magsafe cable is tearing.

Any tips on what to do in order to keep it working without needing to pay huge $ to replace? (in my country its very expensive..)
    The cable still seems fine on the "inside", its just the outer material that is ripped at the moment.

Thanks!!
    Ariel tearing cable.jpg

2. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Wrap it with electrical tape to preserve the strength of the cable. It will need to be replaced sooner or later.

3. ReL1988 thread starter macrumors member

any alternatives? usually it holds for a very short time

Thanks!

4. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

5. MRxROBOT macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Only trick is fitting tubing small enough to be effective over the end of the magsafe connector. It'd be a bit easier on the L-style versions. I'm not aware of any split heatshrink tubing but it may exist.

Best bet: Replace the cable. You can find them on ebay for not much money. Here's a guide: https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Apple_AC_Adapter
    If you're not handy with a soldering iron, it shouldn't be difficult to find someone who is.

With your replacement cord be careful about bending it at sharp angles or kinking it. I've never had to replace a cord in many years of using Apple products, but I'm careful with them.

7. MRxROBOT macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

Hey I never said they wouldn't have to get their hands a bit dirty. If the instructions above are a bit daunting. In lieu of soldering, you could use crimps with heat shrink tubing to connect a new MagSafe 2 lead to the existing cable giving you a longer cable if so desired. The soldering iron is of course the best action to take but the alternative I stated will work just fine and probably more likely in the realm of people's skill set and or more comfortable doing.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604