Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdventurousJosh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Hey guys-

so I made a thread earlier about a charging issue - and I just realized these yellow marks aren’t from me lol and it’s from over heating. My usb charming cable is yellowing at both ends - does this mean my entire charging adapter is faulty, or is it possible I can just replace the cord? And as for any damage to my computer?
Any help is appreciated, thanks guys.

Josh

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Hey guys-

so I made a thread earlier about a charging issue - and I just realized these yellow marks aren’t from me lol and it’s from over heating. My usb charming cable is yellowing at both ends - does this mean my entire charging adapter is faulty, or is it possible I can just replace the cord? And as for any damage to my computer?
Any help is appreciated, thanks guys.

Josh
Well, I'm glad to hear you find your cables charming. Are these Apple-branded cables and charger(s), or a third-party brand?

AdventurousJosh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Well, I'm glad to hear you find your cables charming. Are these Apple-branded cables and charger(s), or a third-party brand?
It’s the same cable that came with my MacBook back in 2016. And lol usb c charging cable* it started to yellow at one end slowly, eventually it started to yellow at both ends. Just unsure if adapter is bad too?

Reactions: 0128672

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
It’s the same cable that came with my MacBook back in 2016. And lol usb c charging cable* it started to yellow at one end slowly, eventually it started to yellow at both ends. Just unsure if adapter is bad too?
I've never seen a cable turn yellow as you describe. Was the charger plugged directly into a wall outlet or into a hub? Can you get a new charger and cable ASAP?

unQuestionable

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2018
Fargo/Moorhead Area
Mine is the same. Is it burning or why is it yellow y’all?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 3,060

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
It’s just cheaply made and the material is degrading over time. This has happened to almost all my apple cables or wired headsets over time. Maybe it is easier to see on white cables than on black, but I’ve had phone cases also degrade where they become filmy/oily as well as plastic toys. It takes a while and its different based on the material. If you put on a pair of latex gloves they they will yellow by the time you are done wearing them because of reactions with your skin’s sweat/oil.

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
This can happen with age and handling. Higher temperatures and UV light seem to accelerate the process, and it generally happening on the ends suggests to me that the oils on our fingers play a role...it tends to also happen with devices where there is not a ton of heat, such as iPhone cables, suggesting heat is not the sole factor involved.

The yellow color itself is not an issue, but it can signify that the outer insulation is weakening/losing its elasticity, it may be more prone to tearing open or permanently deforming, and so it may be nearing the point where the cable should be replaced. This was a huge frustration with MagSafe, but with the USB-C cables it is a much cheaper endeavor given the charging block is now separate from the cable.

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
I have been noticing this exact same issue with my MacBook Pro MagSafe 2 charger that I only just bought in February. I got a little worried when I saw the yellowing, was hoping it wasn't literally melting on the inside or something.

I can't exactly remember, but I am almost certain that my old charger that I had from 2015 to 2020 did not yellow at all. Hopefully this isn't a materials quality compromise, a charger that constantly heats up would just about be the worst place to make that sort of a cost cut.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I had this issue with my 2010 Macbook Pro laptop I use to have. The yellowing is just age. Cable is getting old and will eventually fail. Mine did. Just replace it. Only the cable needs replacing.

antonrg

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2019
Paris
The charging cable I got with my MacBook in 2016 is almost entirely yellow now. It started on the ends and then progressed all through. Strange. Adapter is fine though.

MiamiBeach

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
I had this happen to some older iPhone lightning cables but they still work. My MacBook cable is still as new.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
I'm going to say heat. My MBP cable just started turning yellow in the past week. I had it at the Apple store just before Thanksgiving. They cleaned the charging port (magsafe), told me the cable was fine and sent me on my way (I'm on my 3rd charging cable on an early 2015). I don't keep it plugged in unless I'm sitting there, haven't since it started to get insanely hot last fall. Cleaning it helped, but I still think it's warmer than it was when new.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Same... I've never had a MacBook power cable turn yellow. I've had an iPhone cable turn yellow that was in my car and in the sun a lot. For my latest MacBook Pro - I bought an Anker USB C cable and much prefer that to the Apple cable (easier to wrap up and use). A braided dark colored one - expensive but it feels like it is going to last forever.

1613836252131.png
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Powerl...ords=anker+usb+c+cable&qid=1613836212&sr=8-12

Reactions: 0128672

Esmon

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2022
Hi all,

I had multiple chargers with cables turning yellow.

I accidentally left one lying outside in the sun for 3 hours and to my surprise, the side lying upwards turned white again!

I do not know how long this patch works, but worth the shot.

Esmon

Reactions: segers909
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.