Charger "Charred" my macbook pro... ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by masterolive, Feb 25, 2013.

1. masterolive macrumors newbie

Questions: -What could have caused this?
    -Has this happened to anyone before, and what did you have to do?
    -Any tips to try besides bringing it in for repairs?

Alright, for a wile now I have been having problems with my charger.

-Its very "sensitive" and does awkward things like light up green when plugged into the computer but wont be sustaining the power.
    Sometimes I have to tinker with it to charge, and when it does, I hear a small little electronic sound coming from the laptop.
    The sound isn't a burning or fizzle sound, it sounds like tiny dry gears that need oiling...

Anyway's, Thinking my charger was crap, I used my wife's new one (witch is the older square version)
    -but that particular charger will only "sustain" the power, and Ill be lucky if it goes into charging mode, when it does, its not as sensitive as my charger, and seems to stay charging once it lights up orange.

-I also tried my charger on my wife's computer, and mine seems to charge hers ok... so I believe there is something wrong with my laptop.

Then Iike a genius, I decided to "look" at may charger contacts, and I found this:
    [​IMG]

Seriously guys... what the **** is this?
    I realized now that this particular charger has been burning my laptop or something, and thats what the noises have been.
    But It does not do this to my wifes laptop,
    and her charger doesnt burn mine, the noises only happen with my charger.

*Also, the small noises only happen when it is in charging mode*

-What could have caused this?
    -Has this happened to anyone before, and what did you have to do?
    -Any tips to try besides bringing it in for repairs?

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

3. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

Any type of warranty

4. drambuie macrumors 6502a

The pins in the cable connector are spring loaded. It looks like the pins in your connector were binding due to some type of buildup, and this resulted in poor contact with increased resistance, causing overheating and charring of the connector.

Use an object on the pins to exercise them. The tip of a propelling pencil that takes 0.7 mm leads is perfect for this. If you feel slight resistance, use a little isopropyl alcohol and work the pins to free them up until they extend fully.