Charger flashing / not turning on

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BobTheDuck, Nov 4, 2013.

1. BobTheDuck, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013

BobTheDuck macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. :)

I have a Macbook Pro 7,1 Mid 2010. About a week ago, my laptop charger, I thought, broke. What happens, is it flashes green and orange very quickly while plugged in. So I bought a new charger on Ebay (my exisiting charger was a replacement too), but that one didn't work (no indicator light comes on).

Now before this broke, and since I got this laptop last year (from a friend), I knew the "Service Battery Soon" indicator was on and would need a new battery.

So I read somewhere to unplug the battery from the LogicBoard for a little and plug it back in, then try to charge again. I did that and same result. So then I unplugged the battery entirely and tried to load it running off the chargers, and no result there either.

Right now, I don't know which one I should try to replace. I know I need a new battery either way.

Could the battery being dead stop both chargers from turning on while the battery isn't plugged in to the LOgicBoard? That doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I got unlucky and just have a defective charger.

I don't want to get a new battery to use it for a few hours and have a bad charger... and I don't want to get a new charger to need a new battery from it being dead.

Are there any tricks I could try to do to get everything running again? I hate this back up Windows laptop. :(

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery or charger, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoffs". Also, there is no assurance that non-Apple components will have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board. Apple has not licensed its MagSafe adapter technology to any 3rd party. It's not worth risking your Mac to save a small amount of money.

I recommend you take it to Apple and let them run tests to determine if the problem exists with that power adapter, the battery or the logic board.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. BobTheDuck thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, I only buy genuine parts, I just choose Ebay because it's usually faster.

I've read alll that, and taking it to an Apple Service Center is not a possibility. The closest one is over a 2 hour drive for me.

4. trevm999 macrumors member

Does your old charger still exhibit the same behaviour as it did before with and without the battery connected? I know your have disconnected the battery for a bit, but have you tried a SMC reset with the key combination?

This does not sound like a battery problem. If a SMC reset doesn't fix the issue, it might be an adapter problem, or it could be a problem with the magsafe board (if not something worse)

5. BobTheDuck thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. When my laptop is plugged in with my old charger, it does the same thing, whether or not there is a battery.

I've tried a SMC reset several times. I'll hold the 4 buttons down for a few seconds, at which the charger will blink off, and once I let go of the buttons, the charger will begin to blink again.