Charger for new 15" MBP with TB

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by benz240, Nov 18, 2016.

1. benz240 macrumors regular

Is there an alternative out there to the 85W brick that comes with the new 15" MBPs? I would like to use a generic USB-C cable and a generic power adapter with USB-C (or USB-A) to charge my MBP at work, so I can leave a charger at each location. But everything I've tried so far (various Anker USB power hubs) don't provide the necessary power to charge the laptop. Has anyone found anything yet?

2. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

all the power hubs so far only provide up to 60w, so haven't seen anything at 85w.

3. kwandrews macrumors 6502

I was thinking the same. They will come now that the 15" requires the 85w...I'll be they are around by the end of January/February. Look at the OWC USB-C Thunderbolt 3 dock that is being released in Feb...it can charge it. I may go that route for use on my desk and get the benefits of the rest of the docs. Then keep the standard charger for mobile use.

4. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

I wouldn't. USB-A is in no way rated for the wattage needed to charge these computers. As a point of reference, a Google engineer when on the warpath against cable manufacturers building USB-A to USB-C cables with the wrong resister so as to trick phones into thinking they could charge rapidly and draw more current from USB-A adapters than they are rated for. I can only IMAGINE what would happen if a MBP were to do this, the worst-case with a phone is that the charger would melt down.

5. benz240 thread starter macrumors regular

It seems like the simplest and safest thing to do at this point is just pony up for another Apple charger

6. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

There are some around that can do 60W (Google makes one) but nothing higher that is safe at the moment - except the Apple one. For light use 60W should suffice.

7. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

Anker makes a 60W unit that has a USB-C port and 4 USB-A ports (charging only, not a hub) that they market for use with the rMB. That may also work for the 13" and COULD work for the 15" if you only charge while the computer is asleep, but I wouldn't try to charge while doing heavy-lift tasks.

Amazon.com: Anker USB Type-C 60W 5-Port USB Wall Charger, PowerPort 5 for iPhone 7 / 6s / Plus, iPad Pro / Air 2 / mini, Galaxy S7 / S6 / Edge / Plus, Note 5, LG, Nexus, HTC and More: Cell Phones & Accessories

At this moment, yes it is safest to use the brick Apple sells that is designed for the devices.

8. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Have used this for the last year and it's excellent. Though the USB-C port can only do up to 45W even though it's 60W total.

(That said, mine has actually just stopped working. Though Anker's support is good so I should be getting a new one! :) )