Charger is splitting

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by christy333, Jan 7, 2009.

1. christy333 macrumors newbie

The charger that came with my iPhone 3G (purchased late August) is not looking so good. The outer casing, right before the part that plugs into the phone, is splitting and there is exposed wire. I put electrical tape over it but I don't like the way it looks. It this charger under warranty? If I take it into an Apple store will they replace it, or do I need to send it to Apple? Thanks!

2. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

I had a similiar issue with a power adapter for a macbook pro. Since it was still under warranty they replaced it.

I would think as long as your phone is still under warranty they will replace it.

3. tekgeeek macrumors newbie

Charger Recall

Apple did a recall of those chargers for being too structurally weak. You should definitely get it replaced. There were instances where the prongs actually broke off in peoples' electrical sockets posing a electrical shock risk. Go to an AT&T store or Apple Store and give them your old charger they should just give you a new one.

4. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

He's talking about the USB to dock cable, not the plug. Several of my sets do the exact same thing. It's just a material flaw. I went out and picked up white electrical tape, and it looks a lot better.

5. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

yeah its because apple stresses looks over function

you can try to get the cable replaced, but its just going to happen again.

do what I ( along with everyone) is doing, just buy some white electrical tape and you're good to go.

6. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Got the same problem as yours, I called AppleCare, they said just go to a local Apple store and have an appointment with a Genius. When I came to the store, after talking to the Genius, he replaced it. He said it was a normal cause of wear & tear (but damn from July - Nov only) so now I have a new one. Go to your local Apple store, bring your iPhone and the cable and they should be able to replace it for you.

7. dnguyen macrumors regular

mine has come apart as well. i've been a bit lazy to go to the apple store to get it replaced since i have a few extra from ipods etc

8. JasontheGreat macrumors newbie