Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajax88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2010
Charger was working fine all day, and just about a half hour ago I realized it was plugged in and not charging. I unplugged the charger from the wall and plugged it back in, and it started working again...for about 10 minutes, then the red charging light on the charger got dim, then shut off completely. Is this a sign of a bad charger, or is this bad news for the laptop itself?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Charger was working fine all day, and just about a half hour ago I realized it was plugged in and not charging. I unplugged the charger from the wall and plugged it back in, and it started working again...for about 10 minutes, then the red charging light on the charger got dim, then shut off completely. Is this a sign of a bad charger, or is this bad news for the laptop itself?
What is the percentage charge on the battery?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I was at 30% when the charger shut off, then I got it up to a 40% charge and it shut off on me. I'm at 37% now.
You could try resetting the SMC. Try another charger, if you have one available. Also try your charger with another Mac, if you have one available. Make sure the connection is clean and secure. See the link for troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the following link.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
Is the magsafe port or the male end on the charger dirty at all? Sometimes this would happen on my older MacBook Pro, and cleaning the magsafe port with some isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip would do the trick. (With the computer off of course).

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
As noted above, you must advise Where you are noting that it is NOT Charging.. Does the 'wee light on your MagSafe' just go out, or does the Computer actually SAY that it is No Longer Charging as well..??
** The Symbol on your computer should change from an Battery with A.C. Cable End to a Blacked Out % indicator) **

** You can do a simple troubleshooting test to see if it is the Charger 'from the wall adapter to the MagSafe' by holding the connector at your computer in place firmly and moving the cable about with your other hand (or another person) to see if you have an Intermittent Power Problem.. If the charging DOES NOT seem to stop during this, then it may well be the MagSafe connector..

If it is found to be a problem at the MagSafe, then YES to cleaning it and the Computer Connector, especially if it appears dirty as well..

If the connection seems solid and the Computer indicates the charging has halted, then perhaps your charger has given up, and/ or hopefully NOT an Internal issue.. :apple:

ajax88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2010
As noted above, you must advise Where you are noting that it is NOT Charging.. Does the 'wee light on your MagSafe' just go out, or does the Computer actually SAY that it is No Longer Charging as well..??
** The Symbol on your computer should change from an Battery with A.C. Cable End to a Blacked Out % indicator) **

** You can do a simple troubleshooting test to see if it is the Charger 'from the wall adapter to the MagSafe' by holding the connector at your computer in place firmly and moving the cable about with your other hand (or another person) to see if you have an Intermittent Power Problem.. If the charging DOES NOT seem to stop during this, then it may well be the MagSafe connector..

If it is found to be a problem at the MagSafe, then YES to cleaning it and the Computer Connector, especially if it appears dirty as well..

If the connection seems solid and the Computer indicates the charging has halted, then perhaps your charger has given up, and/ or hopefully NOT an Internal issue.. :apple:

Thanks. Sorry for the lack of information. Not only was the macsafe charger not lighting up, it was also not charging for more than 10 minutes at a time. Unplugged the charger overnight and this morning tried to charge it again, and so far so good. It's been charging for about 2 hours without a problem. Not sure then what the issue was in the first place...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.