Charger light turns off

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mckvakk, Apr 14, 2007.

1. mckvakk macrumors regular

Okay, i'm sure this is nothing.. but a while after i plug the charger into my macbook the light goes off, it's still charging, but with no light. If i take it out and insert it back it goes on for a while again, and then off. This happened recently, the macbook is about.. 6months old. Should i be worried or is this just a random thing? I don't want my macbook to go up in flames :eek:

2. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

Sounds like more of a problem with the MagSafe. Try it on another MB if you can and if the light still turns off, I'd get a new MagSafe just in case.

3. sportsfanMAW macrumors regular

hey mine does that too! at least im not alone! I have another problem that im thinking about taking my macbook in because so i figure i'll just take it in then too

4. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

If you phone up Apple and tell them what's happening, then they'll send you a new one

5. expergo macrumors regular

My girlfriend's Macbook charger does that too. We've had it since August last year, but she's out of town so hopefully we can bring it to the Applestore soon and get a new one.

6. Zegna macrumors member

What a coincidence.

Mine did just that for the first time a few minutes ago.

7. mckvakk thread starter macrumors regular

Hm, now it seems like my machine is hotter than usual in the area around the charging port. Think i'm gonna call apple on monday, but i'm guessing they'll just ask me to use a lot of money to take it to a service centre so they can tell me everything is normal. Guess it's a small price to pay if there actually is something wrong though

8. mckvakk thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, an update.

After a call to Apple, they decided to send me a new charger. They didn't say anything about them hearing about this before though.

9. MalcolmJID macrumors 6502a

Mine has done it about twice ever, (I've had it since Oct '06). It may be slightly hotter recently, but I've attributed this to it being warm here (hottest April on record apparently) and me a lot of the time having the MacBook on my bed, therefore not enough air circulation underneath. I'll let you know if it gets any worse.

10. dberguno macrumors newbie

Same problem

Mine it´s doing it too since yesterday. I´m taking it to Apple tomorrow.:mad:

11. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Call AppleCare and they will get a new one sent out to you the next day. You'll have to return the faulty one to get your deposit back.

12. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Most people I know have this happening to them. It has happened to my MB and my MBP (although only once with the MBP).

I have no idea if it means a defect charger or if it even matters.

13. djtedrivera macrumors newbie

This happened to mine

The Mag Safe Charger on mine was doing the same thing.. One call to apple care and they set up a ticket for me to visit my local Apple Store..
    There the tech checked everything out and said yep the charger is shot..

He said I will be right back as he went to the back and brought out a brown box with a new Mag Safe and I was all set..

I dont know if this is a common problem but what I can tell you is being a DJ my charger was tossed around quite a bit.. So I would guess if you drop your charger to many times this is sure to happen to you.

Be careful although it was made to detach from your Mac if pulled I dont think it takes to well to hitting the floor.

14. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

This happened to me, too. Numerous times. To the point where the genius told me it was the battery and replaced the out-of-warranty battery... and it keeps doing it.

Stupid $2000 computers.:mad: