Charger says its charging, but its not

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by christian100, Sep 4, 2011.

1. christian100 macrumors newbie

Hi all

I have a macbook pro and my charger is playing up. I was running bootcamp and playing a game. (my macbook is one of the newest with black keyboard) anyway, i was playing and the charger was in and i thought it was full. The charger had an orange light, so there was power getting there, AND the computer said charging, but my computer just crashed because i ran out of battery...It was then a mission to start again because when i plugged the charger in, the computer tried to start itself again, seconds later it turned off, another few seconds it tried again, and got turned off again because no battery. This is doing all this stuff by itself while the charger is in and aparently working. WTF???? Please help me!!

2. treestar macrumors 6502

It seems like your battery is disconnected or there is a problem with it. If you want to take the bottom panel off and check the connector you can, otherwise you should take it to an Apple store. It doesn't make sense that your computer would restart if it was still connected to AC power. That makes me think there is something very wrong with the battery or its connection.

3. christian100 thread starter macrumors newbie

The bottom panel on the laptop? ANd what would i be looking for??? It has just started working again now, on mac, and it is charging. Its like, im using more battery than the charger can actually pump into my laptop. is that possible??

4. treestar macrumors 6502

Go to ifixit.com if you want to go inside the computer. I don't think you should try it on your own.

If you are using the wrong charger then it cannot supply enough power especially running a game.

The MBP 15" and 17" demand more current than the 13", also the MBAs have lesser powered chargers.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

If you're running very intense stuff, the power adapter cannot supply enough power to power the whole computer, and it will start draining the battery to supply the extra juice it needs. Macs have been that way for a very long time. If you're not using the correct power adapter for the computer(the 85w for the 15/17, 65W for the 13) it can be even worse.

Seems like that's what happened with yours.