Charger Warranty Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Ironduke, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Ironduke Suspended

Ironduke

The ChargerCord is splitting right near the magesafe2 adapter, my 2012 air has a Student warranty until 2015, does the apple care cover the charger?

I will call myself just want to know others experiences

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, Applecare will cover a charger if it is defective. Now the question is going to be is it frayed because it is defective or because you abused it somehow. I have seen reports on here from users having good luck getting these replaced and others not so much.

3. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

I had my charger replaced under Apple Care warranty.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I have had two different Magsafes - for two different MBAs - replaced under Applecare over the past four years.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

AppleCare covers your adapter unless there is obvious signs of misuse or damage.

6. Ironduke thread starter Suspended

Ironduke

7. stfwayne macrumors regular

My cord was severely frayed both times from using it at a library and bending the cord when im sitting at different desks and my adapter (part with the cord) was replaced 3 times in 3 years under Apple Care

Apple makes each of these adapters for less than $5 and sells them for $80

The magsafe cord itself is the cheapest component, whereas the thick rubber cable and power brick is the most expensive portion so Apple doesnt mind AT ALL to replace the cord I would be utterly shocked if yours didnt get replaced unless you outright cut the cord with a pair of scissors

8. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

My charger block was cracked and was covered by the Apple Warranty.

You should be able to have it replaced. Goodluck!

9. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

Recently had the charger replaced for my 2012 MBA under AppleCare. Did it while I was on vacation. The charger cord was turning yellow and Apple thought it might be a potential fire hazard as the person at the Genius Bar said that the discoloration is a possible sign of internal overheating in the charger.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I would stick to the REAL THING and not a knock-off. You will never find these people again when your Ropee charger fails.

11. abta1 macrumors 6502

Unless the warranty covers possible damage to your laptop I would be skeptical of third party chargers.