Charger wiring totally frayed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ravich, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Ravich macrumors 6502a

Macbook Pro is from early 2008. Used the charger it came with for 5 years until it suddenly gave out. Got a new one and within a few weeks it was starting to fray near where it connects to the laptop, and it has only gotten worse since then. I've heard that this is a very common problem with the new charger cords (were these even tested?), and was wondering what peoples' experiences are with getting apple to take responsibility for it? Am I likely to be told that it is my fault, or will they replace it?

2. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm sure someone has an answer to this common problem :)

3. TooSmooth macrumors member

Doesn't hurt to try. This is extremely common, Apple chose design over function.

4. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

If the "new" charger is only a few weeks old, I would set up an appointment, and get it exchanged.

I believe the chargers come with a one year warranty against manufactures defects..
    If you can make the Original Magsafe that came with the Macbook Pro last 5 years, it's obviously the new chargers fault.

5. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

It shouldn't do that after a few weeks. That said, it sounds like you're putting some tension or strain on the cord. Apple will replace it, but you should also check your setup to see what's going on—otherwise it's pretty much guaranteed to happen again.