Charger works PC wont regocnise

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Navaran, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Navaran macrumors newbie

My problem is the following. My iPhone recently smashed and I had it replaced (The screen) everything works perfectly. I'm not sure this would have anything to do with it as it doesn't need to touch any of the components for a USB to work. Anyway. I plug my USB into the plug. Plug it into my iPhone and it works. But when I want to use it through my pc it's a whole different story. Basically it turns on. But doesn't charge or show up on the PC at all. So it's being turned on because it's plugged in but it isn't showing up. Wtf? I have no idea..

Long story short
    Works through charger
    Doesn't work on the PC

Any ideas?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Sounds like a driver is messed up. You could reinstall iTunes, or if you haven't already, reboot the computer. You could also try another USB port or see if it works on another computer.

3. Navaran thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup, I can confirm that it doesn't work at all in a computer. I used all of the USB ports in all three of my computers and they have failed to work. Yet it still works in the Charger. Very strange.

4. Queenie macrumors newbie

Me too

I am having the same problem. I can't get my itunes to recognize the iphone at all. Ive updated, rebooted, replugged, everything I can think of. Very frustrating.

5. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

You sure your usb lead is good? The phone has to negotiate with the pc before it gets power at 500mA. It's all weird because if your phone is working on a power adapter, it seems like the USB data pins are ok because these have to receive a voltage in order for the phone to go into charge mode.

6. Navaran thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried an old USB cable which was snapped. And It worked! Awesome =D. Bad thing is, I've gotta use one cable for charging and one for PC. Or just use the sort of snapped one which I super glued back together and be really frikin careful with.