Charger

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Gumblue32, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Gumblue32 macrumors newbie

Gumblue32

Is the mag safe 2 charger much durable than the mag safe charger? I have a MBP Esrly 2011. I bought this in November 2011. After 2 years I had to buy a replacement on eBay. What I got was an original charger too. I’ve already had bought 6 more chargers since then. I plan to buy a 15 inch MBP 2018 later on. Hopefully the USB C charger is more durable.

2. Ruskes macrumors regular

Ruskes

Charger should last 20 years.
    Not sure what you doing to yours.
    Recommend you buy a power adapter with protective circuit, to prevent spikes.

3. Gumblue32 thread starter macrumors newbie

Gumblue32

Its actually the cable that apple uses. I've had pc laptops in the past and their charger is way more durable than apple's

4. Ruskes macrumors regular

Ruskes

It is the cable.
    They are bit sensitive specially in the area close to the magsafe plug.

5. NoBoMac macrumors 68000

No experience with MagSafe 2, but, appears cables same/similar. So assuming similar lifespans. And MS2 is not compatible with "classic" ports (wider and thinner vertically for 2).

Not sure what you are doing to your chargers, but, should last years with proper handling. Yanking the cable by the cable vs unplugging by grasping the connector?

My original adapter lasted 10 years before the brick itself died, cable was in pristine shape.

6. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

The rubber sleeve for the cable on the MagSafe 1 and 2 seem to dry out and develop slits and expose the silver shielding. On two of mine, it looks as if someone took a knife and cut the cable in certain areas.

7. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Having to buy 6 chargers is not normal. That hints to the problem being either your handling of the charger(s) or a problem with the outlet used etc.

Posting more information (with pictures) about why you are having to replace so much would be helpful.

8. chabig macrumors 603

Recognizing that, take better care with your Apple chargers.

9. macairnyc macrumors newbie

macairnyc

While still under applecare (2014 13" macbook air) I replaced my charger as the cable had become somewhat stiff and discolored. That was about two years ago, and the replacement has suffered the same symptoms. The discoloration, from the original white to a now pale yellow/green has slowly migrated from the magsafe connector back along the cable almost three feet. I am very careful not to stress the cable - sharp turns - at the connector, and usually run the cable under the left corner of the laptop to prevent it being pulled by unnecessarily. Still functions fine. What would cause this discoloration?

10. Gumblue32 thread starter macrumors newbie

Gumblue32

I wish apple would come up with a more sturdier cable

11. Macdctr macrumors 6502

Macdctr

I will add that it is the rubber material that Apple uses on their older cables for both their power adapter and lightening cable... over time the rubber becomes brittle and begins to discolor.. then it will crack and come apart. Nothing you can do about it other than buy replacements...

My opinion on this is that Apple used poor quality materials in the production of their power adapters and lightening cabling...