Chargers don't woke againn!! What BS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nojokews6, Jul 6, 2009.

1. nojokews6 macrumors regular

Old 3g chargers don't work for s?? Now I have to go drop another 50 on chargers. What's the reason?

2. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

huh? My 3G charger works fine on the 3GS

3. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

Was the other end plugged in?

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Before I opened this post, I thought the chargers were sleeping. :D

5. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

3G chargers should work just fine with your 3GS...if they don't...something is wrong with your 3GS or you didn't connect it fully.

If you look at the Apple Store all the 3G products are also compatible with the 3GS and there are no special 3GS products like there were for the 3G when it first came out.

6. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Hey, cut him some slacr ... The "K" key and "R" key ake so close to eachothek. ;)

7. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

My old 2G charger works on my 3GS.
    They all put out the same voltage and use the same cable.
    Apple just changed the form factor of the transformer.

8. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Excellent. :D

I thought he was posting with a cold ;)

Actually, I was just figuring that he's talking about third-party devices. My FM transmitter/charger from my 2G wouldn't work on my 3G. I've seen some posts here saying certain devices stopped working with the 3GS.

9. PhxBlue macrumors regular

PhxBlue

My old usb cable from my 4 gig first gen iPhone works just fine on my 3GS.

10. bshelly macrumors newbie

My very old Blackberry charger works great with my 3GS since it's just a usb port on an AC/DC adapter.

Any USB charger sold under the Apple brand and made for the iPod should work fine with the 3G and 3GS.

11. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

I'm still angry they don't support the firewire pins anymore. I would have like 3 more chargers if they did. Plus my car head unit uses Firewire to charge! LAME!

12. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

13. bshelly macrumors newbie

HarrisonB, I completely agree with you about Firewire charging as I have 2 chargers laying around. I also wish Firewire connectivity was still supported as it is faster than USB 2.0 in real world performance.

14. danielbrowning macrumors member

I have a Griffin car charger that I bought when I got my 3G and found that my old charger for my iPod/original iPhone wouldn't work. It comes in two parts, the car plug has a USB socket on it and there's a usb to dock connector lead.

I plugged my new 3GS in, and it gives the charging not supported message. I plug the 3G back in, it charges. I made sure the connectors were clean etc., no joy. There's no problem with the 3GS, and when I bought a new, different make of charger from an O2 shop, that worked fine.

It would seem that there is *something* different between the 3g and 3GS, even if Apple haven't announced it.

15. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

The only way I can seeing that working is if the 3gs detects the power via the Firewire pin and throws the error even when the USB pin has power. I'll have to test I know I have a charger that does supply power on both pins and it works with my 3g. If they changed the 3gs' this way it's kind of stupid and just adds to more problems with accessories.

16. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Strange, since upgrading to 3.0, my phone no longer charges on my girlfriends Hello Kitty iPod dock. I get a big yellow triangle exclamation point warning. Used to work fine on 2.2.1. Bummer. I'll have to leave a charger over there.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

heck, my old iPod classic charger works with my 3GS phone. I'm not sure what's going on, but I've not had any issues using really old chargers/usb cables.

18. bshelly macrumors newbie

The main reason I can think that the older Cigarette Lighter plugs don't work is that they do not put out enough amperage to properly charge the 3GS. I have a generic white CigLighter>USB port plug that would charge my BlackBerry, iPod Video 80GB and my Bluetooth headset. I tried it with the 3GS and it didn't even acknowledge it being plugged in to anything.

I looked at the rating and it is considerably less than the Griffin PowerJolt, Dual USB Cigarette Lighter adapter I just bought at WalMart for $12.88. Now I can charge two things at once.

Here is the same thing at Amazon, sold by eforcity, and it's even cheaper...
    http://www.amazon.com/Powerjolt-Dual-Universal-USB-Charger/dp/B001Q2FM5E/ref=pd_cp_cps_2

19. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

same here! when i first got the iphone i would plug and unplug the charger that came with it.... now i just use the one from my ipod that's hooked up already and runs from behind my desk.....

i should have tried that before i bought my monoprice charger for woek... coulda just brought the iphone cable and wall adapter.... oh well!

(also using the same iTip charger in the car that i use(d) for my ipod and it works perfectly!)

20. vertigoman macrumors newbie

Do firewire chargers really not work on iPhone? (Just got my first iPhone, a 3GS, last week so I haven't tried it personally.) I know iPod stopped supporting Firewire for data transfer, but I've been using my old firewire cable that came with my old iPhone as a stand-alone charger on my newer video iPod, and while it won't sync with the computer using firewire, it charges just fine.

Surprised that the firewire couldn't at least charge the phone. I have very few complaints about Apple products I own, but the biggest one is probably how they've phased Firewire out of iPods in favor of the inferior USB, and how there are less Firewire ports on the new Macs vs the old ones.

(Then again, if that's my big complaint I'd say all in all things are going OK...)