Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wilfried

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Late last night, I got three email receipts for iTunes purchases of $40+ each. I didn't make those purchases. I couldn't figure it out at first, but then I realized I lost my iPod Touch last week, and someone must have made purchases that way. BTW, when I tried to log into the iTunes store today, it was disabled, so whoever tried again. I immediately changed the password and emailed iTunes support. Today I called Apple and spoke to someone who spoke to her supervisor and so on, said I'd be contacted by email.

I've since gotten an email from iTunes saying after much blah blah blah that they're very sorry they can do nothing for me. Apparently my only recourse is to dispute the charges through my credit card. This was a response to my email; I haven't gotten a response to my phone inquiry, but now I'm not sure to expect one.

Grr..., clearly I'm pissed, both at the theft, and at the fact that Apple is so far completely unwilling to help in the matter. I know fraud is a real issue, but then they do too. I can't be the first person this has happened to, and they should have a way of dealing with a customer with a problem other than saying "not our problem." Has anyone else had a similar issue, or have advice on how to go about dealing with it?

jsfpa

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
How did the person who stole your Touch get your iTunes password? This is also why I now have my iPhone locked.

wilfried

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
I lost my iPod, and had just written it off, and I guess someone found it. Mine was password protected too, so I don't know how they got past that. I don't know how secure the iPod password is. I can't think how else they could have made orders on my account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.