Chargin MacBook pro 2011 15'

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gaki123, Jun 29, 2011.

1. gaki123 macrumors newbie

Hi guys, yesterday i just bought new macbook pro 15 inch model, and i never had any laptop or mac, so I am asking you how should I charge my macbook pro? I will use mbp at home for internet and other stuff and for djing in clubs, so I asked seller and she told me that I shouldn't have power supply connected to my mac and I should always wait until buttery gets empty because macbooks have own charging cycle, is this true, and please advise me when should I use power supply and when not.
    Thanks in advance!

P.S. Do I have to calibrate my buttery, and is using utorrent harmful for macbook?

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Lots of incorrect information here.

Use your power adapter when you can, and when you're on the go, use the battery. There is NO reason you cannot use the power adapter while using your Macbook, that's just simply untrue.

Calibrating your battery will *only* affect the estimated time that OSX thinks you have left on your battery, it will not actually affect battery life.

Utorrent itself is totally safe, just make sure that what you are downloading is OK.

3. gaki123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thaks, so when my buttery is about let's say 60% and I plug in power adapter it won't damage buttery, I read somewhere that I should charge it to 100% than i can leave power adapter for some time than I should few times a month empty whole buttery than again fully charge it? I know it is safe to use utorrent but do you guys download mac apps from there, is it safe to use those cracked apps?

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

You don't need to do any other that.

Cracked apps as you say are illegal, use them at your own risk(both financially and for your Mac) This forum does not condone the use of them.

As far as caring for you battery, read this in full, you shouldn't have any questions after that.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23

5. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Don't worry about when to charge and what % it is at.

If you need a charge, whether its at 5% or 70%, plug it in and use it. No harm done to the battery in anyway.

6. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

I've heard the same bit, charge at anytime possible because the battery doesn't have memory, but when I went into the apple store, the guy said I should charge it if possible unless it's empty, and Macrumors even suggests charging it when only empty:

What is "full cycle"?
    A cycle is when the total battery power is less then 50% before it is recharged. The battery electronics monitor the status of the cells during use, and not cycling the battery at least once a week may cause the electronics to get false recordings. It is best to fully drain the battery before you charge it up again. Seeing a fully charged in your battery status monitor as 99% is a good indication to fully cycle your battery.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Laptop_Battery_Guide

Can someone contradict this?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not true. You can recharge anytime. It doesn't matter how much it's drained.
    Yes, that's false. For the facts, read "WHAT IS A CYCLE?" in the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

8. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

Then macrumors has contradicting information did you read my link, and you failed to comment about how it said that you should charge only when the battery is very low.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, that information is false. The FAQ I posted gives the accurate definition of a cycle. There is no memory effect on lithium-polymer batteries, which means you can recharge it from 90%, 30%, 45%, 12%.... it doesn't matter. The recommendation to drain or mostly drain a battery before charging applies to old NiCd batteries which had a memory effect.

10. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

Fair enough, I know you don't have any power over the contradicting information, but now I know.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The cycle count definition in the FAQ comes directly from Apple. I don't know who posted the other info. That's why I routinely direct people to the FAQ rather than the guide, as it's more complete and more accurate.