Charging 2-3 USB devices with MacBook 2015

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacHocke, Aug 8, 2015.

1. MacHocke macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm a proud owner of the new MacBook since couple of days now and I love it beside one problem I have.
    Wanted to check whether someone has a solution for that...

We all know there is only one USB-C connection. I have ordered the apple adapter which has a USB-A, HDMI and USB-C connection. My initial thought was that I simply attach an USB-A Hub to the USB-A connection which then gives me 4 additional USB-A connections to charge my iPhone, Apple Watch and e-cigarette while I'm working at the office desk...also what I was used to to on my older MacBook pro is to have 2 external hard drives connected sometimes for doing backups. Now the problem is that as soon as I connect more than 1 device to the hub my MacBook complains that too many devices are connected and energy consumption is too high (MacBook is connected to the socket) and as a result it skips charging everything connected or throws out the hard drives with an error. As a result I'm now only able to charge one device at a time or have only one HD connected for backups...this makes the USB-A Hub completely useless and of course is quite inconvenient when it comes to charging devices.

Anyone with the same problem, anyone with a USB-A Hub which is working as I plan to do it, is it my USB-A Hub which has minor quality?

Any help would be much appreciated...

Thanks Stefan.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3. MacHocke thread starter macrumors newbie

not sure I understand, but having a powdered USB Hub means I need a socket nearby and if this is the case I can also charge my devices by using the socket...or do you mean something else by a powered USB Hub?

thanks

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Yes, he means a hub with its own power supply. If it's sitting at your desk, does it matter if the hub is plugged in as well?

That said, I'm a bit surprised it can't power more than that for you - I have mine connected to a 3-port hub with ethernet, and I can have ethernet, my watch, an external DAC, and a small backup drive all connected at the same time. Can you have the 3 devices other than the backup drives connected? Some drives, especially older ones, draw a significant amount of power.

And just to be sure, you are using the stock Apple power brick connected to the adapter?

5. MacHocke thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for that...you made the right point, it was the HD sucking all energy. As the MacBook is still new I had that connected all the time to do data transfer from my previous MacBook...just tested without the HD connected and only 2-3 mobile devices and they are all charged at the same time...stupid me :confused:

Thanks for pointing this out:)