Charging a 6S+ from an Apple keyboard, connected to a TBD display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Azzin, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Azzin macrumors 68040

Hi gurus,

As above, I've got a Thunderbolt Display and I'm using an Apple wired keyboard.

I've got an iPad Air charger behind my desk (for faster charging), that I'm using to charge my 6S+, but I'm wondering if the keyboard will charge my phone at the same rate as the iPad charger?

Cheers.

2. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Just an assumption: but no. I doubt it. The 12W wall socket charger will be faster than the daisy chained usb/tb charge.From memory (hence this is assumption) the new keyboard does Not have a USB port for you to charge anything on, just the lightning cable, but you mention you have the keyboard connected to the thunderbolt display. So it's probably the old wired keyboard, so it's usb2 at most. Which (again from memory) are up to 500 Milliamps at 5 Volts (and 900mA/5V for usb3). And isn't the 12W socket thing 5.2 Volts at 2200 or 2400 mA ?

3. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

image.jpeg Thanks.

The keyboard I have is the full width Apple one, that has a USB port on each end:

4. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I can't imagine it charging as fast as a 12w wall socket usb charger though. Worth a test! *(finds old keyboards)

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

My keyboard will work with a thumb drive but doesn't supply enough power to run a portable hard drive. While it will probably charge it the rate will be significantly less than the wall charger. The 6s+ will use the full 2.1 amps .