charging a macbook pro in Europe

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ivinho, Nov 30, 2008.

1. ivinho macrumors member

Probably a silly question but i rather ask before i fry my mac. Do i need any power converter to charge a Mac in Europe or just the plug converter itself?

2. azharc macrumors member

The power brick is universal and accepts 110V - 240V, no worries.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Just take the plug adaptor with you. As azharc points out, the power brick/charger itself is universal.

Cheers

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Apple also sells a plug-adapter world kit. It would be nice if you could choose individual plug styles, but after guessing incorrectly for Isle of Man last year and subsequently running around Douglas looking for a proper adapter I would be happy with the full assortment.

PS> I had no issues using my PBG4 over there.

5. mspman macrumors regular

mspman

So, I'm at work so I can't check my MBP box at the moment, but what is this 'plug adaptor' that you refer to? Is there one included that lets you plug into an outlet in Europe?

And forgive the stupidity, but if I have to buy a seperate plug adaptor, does it have to be three-prong US to two-prong Europe? Or can it be two-prong US to two-prong Europe and I just use the top two prongs on my plug?

I'm travelling to Amsterdam tomorrow so this would be a huuuuuuuuuuuuge help. :)

6. gwihannom macrumors member

Dude, it's not included in the box. Buy it at Radio Shack or something. Or buy the Apple Travel kit for a lot more money.

Don't take the extension cable unless you know you need it. On the brick/charger, it's two-prong. So plug in a simple two-prong adapter. For example, 110V two-prong in US is two parallel flat metals. 220~240V Paris cable was two round metals.

European countries all have different types, so if you're traveling just to Amsterdam, buy an adapter for the specific country. If you don't know, just get a travel kit.

7. molala macrumors 6502a

just get a travel adapter US to european. you can get it at the airport.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree. Yes, I always get a set at the airport, - or any electrical outlet - in case I've forgotten to pack it. The brick itself will take any plug/socket, as long as you attach it correctly. The US two-prong is NOT the same as the European two prong, so buy the currect plug. Get a world universal set, or a simple US to European. Sorry for the delay in responding - I hadn't access to the net for two days.

Cheers and good luck