Charging a MacBook with a MBP's charger?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Joeytpg, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

Is this safe?

Can I use my friends MBP charger to charge my MacBook? and Vice versa? :confused:

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

The MBP will be less speedy to reach a full charge because of the difference in wattage, but nothing will explode. I've done it before, but I can't recommend you do this for an extended period of time.

3. Flyer0815 macrumors 6502

Ive done this before plenty of times. I use my MBP charger to charge / use my MBA, and I have used a MB charger in a conference room to power my MBP. No problem.

4. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

according to another tech i work with who is apple certified, he says charging a mbp with a mb charger can damage the battery, because it also is used to buffer whatever power the 65w power supply can't handle.

which is why if you look on a box of the macbook charger, it does not list the MBP. But the box of an MBP charger lists macbook as compatible.

5. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

The MacBook charger is 60W, the MacBook Pro charger is 85W. It's unlikely that using the 60W charger is going to hurt anything, it's just going to take longer for it to charge the battery, especially if you're using the MBP at the same time.

Given the propensity for these things to burn up at or around the MagSafe connector, I wouldn't do it for any longer than necessary.

I'm still waiting for mine to fail - the wire and jacket just ahead of the connector look like they're waiting to fail. I go out of my way not to wrap it tightly to prevent stressing the cable and to have the cord going straight in and not at an angle when connected....

MacDann

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

the potential damage to the battery of an MBP with a MB charger is as i said, it is easy for a high powered MBP to use more power than the macbook charger can handle which causes the computer to draw power from the battery instead of charging it. Not only does it charge slower, but the constant draining and charging in a short period of time, especially if you're doing something cpu intensive can damage the battery.

with a higher power supply, like the 85w meant for charging the MBP, drawing power from the battery can be generally avoided.