Charging a new macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by XFacta82, Jun 6, 2008.

1. XFacta82 macrumors member

Just got a macbook. Should I let it completely charge before turning it on?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

3. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

It's already charged I think. When I received my Macbook Pro(same thing) it was already charged. If you want, plug it in and use it. Same thing.

4. XFacta82 thread starter macrumors member

Ok well the reason I asked is...
    1. Because the light is orange and not green so it must not be at full charge
    2. I tried turning it on before fully charging it and the screen just went dim and I can barely see anything. I restarted it and same thing. I'm probably taking it back tomorrow.

5. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

The Macbook has separate settings it uses based on whether it's plugged in or not. You probably have the screen set to be dimmer when it's unplugged. Unplug is and turn the screen brightness up (F2 on mine, but they may have changed the lay out). That will make your "unplugged" pattern set to be brighter.

To manually edit these settings, click on the battery icon.

6. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

Calibrate the battery right away...

All the Mac Techs suggest calibrating your battery right away and then calibrating it once a month. Supposedly it keeps the battery healthier longer. My old MBP would barely go 1.5 hours on a full charge (yes, my battery was recalled and exchanged). No matter, the battery was useless. My new Macbook gave me almost 5 hours today with a fully bright display, using WiFi and several applications open at once! Did I say I love my MacBook!

7. XFacta82 thread starter macrumors member

8. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

9. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

Calibration instructions...

Here's the Apple Support Page article on "Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance" http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

This should help.