Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jezx74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
So I had an iphone 5c and recently the charging port broke and it died, I brought it into the shop and they said I needed to replace the entire phone. Got a new phone and it turns out I didn't have my old contacts saved to the cloud (idk why, I guess I'm dumb). Is there a way to get my old phone power so I can back up my contacts? I really don't want to have to start over so I'm willing to try pretty much anything.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
The problem is that the charging connector is directly connected to circuit board and it sounds like it separated from same board. You could take it to a repair shop and have the open it up and connect power directly to the battery to charge it enough where you could recover your information.

Just a thought.

jezx74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
The problem is that the charging connector is directly connected to circuit board and it sounds like it separated from same board. You could take it to a repair shop and have the open it up and connect power directly to the battery to charge it enough where you could recover your information.

Just a thought.

Thanks for the reply, I'll try that.

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
Did you get another one of the same phones? You could try charging up your new phone, then swap the batteries. Doesn't look terribly fun, but what the heck... You could also ask the repair shop if you can get them to swap in a charged battery to let you get your stuff off.

C

jezx74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
Did you get another one of the same phones? You could try charging up your new phone, then swap the batteries. Doesn't look terribly fun, but what the heck... You could also ask the repair shop if you can get them to swap in a charged battery to let you get your stuff off.

C

Thanks for the reply. I got an iphone 6, don't know if they have the same battery. Probably not, right?

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
Thanks for the reply. I got an iphone 6, don't know if they have the same battery. Probably not, right?

The 6 doesn't even have the same battery as the 6s, so most likely not.

Can you call the shop and ask them to install a charged battery for you? Give you enough juice to get your stuff off?

Where were all your contacts stored? Even if you didn't have a backup saved to iCloud, shouldn't your contacts be available in your iCloud account by default? I don't use iCloud for much, so I'm not sure how it works that way...

C

jezx74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
The 6 doesn't even have the same battery as the 6s, so most likely not.

Can you call the shop and ask them to install a charged battery for you? Give you enough juice to get your stuff off?

Where were all your contacts stored? Even if you didn't have a backup saved to iCloud, shouldn't your contacts be available in your iCloud account by default? I don't use iCloud for much, so I'm not sure how it works that way...

C

Yeah I think I'll try calling the shop. And you'd think that but I even contacted apple support about it and apparently they weren't stored anywhere except on my phone, because I had the option to save contacts turned off.

Eau Rouge

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2013
The 5c lightning port assembly is something you can buy and replace yourself but it's not the easiest thing to do.

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
Yeah I think I'll try calling the shop. And you'd think that but I even contacted apple support about it and apparently they weren't stored anywhere except on my phone, because I had the option to save contacts turned off.

I take it you've changed that already? :)

C

jezx74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
The 5c lightning port assembly is something you can buy and replace yourself but it's not the easiest thing to do.
Thanks for the reply, so was the person at the store I took it to just lying when he said it couldn't be repaired and I had to buy an entire new phone? Or is it just really hard?

Eau Rouge

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2013
Thanks for the reply, so was the person at the store I took it to just lying when he said it couldn't be repaired and I had to buy an entire new phone? Or is it just really hard?

It's tedious. Lots of small screws of different sizes and lengths. Compared to swapping in a battery, it's more involved. If you're unsure of DIY, maybe look into a different repair place that's willing to do it or get the part yourself and get a quote for the labor? Depends how much your contacts are worth to you, I suppose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.