Charging Accessories for 2G Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by dlbeck23, Sep 11, 2008.

1. dlbeck23 macrumors newbie

Just a heads up that external charging devices won't work with the 2G touch like they did with other iPods, including the 1G.

I have an external battery back from Memorex that the 2G won't recognize and my Monster Cable FM tuner that I used in my car won't charge it either.

Anyone have any ideas? Why won't it work?

I just got the 32GB last night.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Does is just not accept the power? That may be the same as with the 3G removing support for Firewire power, otherwise it may be why 2.1.1 is coming out, just a software problem.

TEG

3. dlbeck23 thread starter macrumors newbie

It gives a warning that this charging device is not supported.

4. dbonds macrumors newbie

Good timing. I just picked up a 32G 2G touch yesterday and just received my APC Mobile Power Pack this morning. I don't have any extensive use with it so far but it provides a powered USB port which seems to give the little "charging" indicator on my touch when plugged in with a standard ipod cable. It claims 10Wh which seems like it should be good for >5 charges (not tested) and is about the size of a deck of cards.

FWIW, I also have a Powermonkey Explorer kit which has a bunch of different adapters, takes up more space, and retails for more. It does NOT seem to work with the 2G touch but does with my fatty nano. I don't get any error message on the touch, just no charging indicator. It does have a nifty solar cell charging option, but I understand that takes a LONG time to charge the battery so it's probably more novelty than anything else.

Daniel

Edit - BTW, my 2G touch came with 2.1.1.

5. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

??? The new Touch has 2.1.1 preinstalled. Also, I think the new one might need more power than the old one, as the battery is better.

6. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Confirmation (from me): The Kensington "Mini Battery Pack and Charger for iPhone and iPod" works with the new Touch.