Charging Advice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Frostymark, May 26, 2014.

1. Frostymark macrumors newbie

May 26, 2014
    I recently got a great deal on a MacBook Air Mid 2013 model 11 inch Base model for 680. The machine is simply amazing but I'm still confused on the whole charging process. I've had the laptop for a month and my rundown on charging is keeping it plugged as much as possible, and every week I would use the macbook for as long (1-2 days, only use it for about 2-3 hours a day) as I can off the charger until it hits 50-55 percent then redo the process. Is that an okay process? if not please tell me what you can recommend to keep a healthy battery, I need this macbook to last 4 years until I get my BSN. Please be nice to me as well, I'm a new user. Have a good one guys and thanks for reading.
  2. Dweez macrumors 65816

Jun 13, 2011
    Down by the river
    Go ahead and run it down to single digits then plug the charger in. I do this once per month with our mac laptops and it seems to keep the batteries happy.
  3. alphaod macrumors Core

Feb 9, 2008
    I find doing whatever I want with my computer is the best way.

I had an old Mac that I tried to "maintenance" the battery; battery had less than 50% health in less than a year.

Now none of my Macs have issues once I started using them like and giving a hoot.
  4. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2006
    Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
    I just looked this up the other day because I just purchased a 2014 MacBook Air and I wanted to see if I needed to to anything special for the first charge and I came across this...

The MacBook Air falls into the category of "Portables with built in batteries".
  5. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

May 12, 2010
    The batteries in MBA, iPads and iPhones work optimally when between 40% and 80%. My typical use, then, is to use the MBA until it reaches in the 40% range and charge it to full overnight. In the morning, I unplug the charger and just let the thing sit until I use it again. It is best to let the battery sit off the charger than on when considering longevity.

I don't worry about dipping below 40%, but I never work the computer so long as to let it die because of the battery, this too can degrade the life span.
  6. teffers macrumors regular

Jun 23, 2013
    United Kingdom
    I've had a 2013 MBA since July (so 11 months) and this is what I've found.

I use it during the day at work off the battery and it gets as low as 20%.

I go home and charge it for a 1 to 2 hours and then take it off charge.

My cycles are 146 and battery health fluctuates (this is normal) around 96/98%

On the occasionas where it's been left on charge overnight the battery health has dropped significantly, most recently it dropped from 98 down to 90%.

This has steadily increased again over the last week back up to 96/98%.

I'm fully aware that most people say it doesn't hurt it to be left on charge overnight etc but I'm going to continue to take it off after a few hours.

It helps the MBA charges so quickly too :)
  7. Carouser macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2010
    What do you mean 'work optimally'? How is the battery going to work better at 60% than at 95% or at 30%? Either it is supplying power to the device or not.

Also, where did you get this information from?

8. JMountainDew macrumors regular

Apr 24, 2012
    This. This seems to work the best.
  9. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

Apr 28, 2008
    I used to be very concerned about this too. Back when I had a laptop with a removable battery I used to take the battery out when the computer was charging to preserve battery life.

I've had the 2013 MBA since august. Here is how I use it:
    plugged in most of the time at work.
    Unplugged often at night.
    sometimes left on the charger overnight
    sometimes I forget to take it out of my bag when at home so it is off the charger but then it gets plugged back in at work
    Frequently I need to work away from my desk and then I use it for 1-5hrs off the charger (because I can't eat in the same space where my desk is :()

I usually don't make it to 50% discharge before charging back up. But occasionally I get down to 35%. Sometimes I accidentally forget and plug back in at 80+%

None of it seems to matter. Battery health as of right now:

Attached Files: