Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

camner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
I just bought a 12" MacBook for travel use...love the machine! It comes with a 29W compact wall charger.

It occurred to me that for travel convenience, it would be great if I could use the 29W MacBook charger to charge my iPad (and/or iPhone). BUT, that would require a USB-C to Lightning charging cable, which I can't seem to find.

So, aside from the lack of a cable, is there any reason why one can't or shouldn't use the 29W MacBook charger with an iPad? If it's OK, can someone point me in the direction of an appropriate cable?

TIA...

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
It's MORE than ok. It's actually preferred since it fast charges the iPad Pro twice as fast. If you have non iPad Pro I don't think it's any different, but either way it won't damage the battery or anything. You'll be fine. And just search USB c to lightning cable. Apple sells them but you'll find cheaper on amazon

USB-C to Lightning Cable (1 m)

https://store.apple.com/xc/product/MK0X2AM/A

SBA

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2008
It should work with the Apple USB-C to Lightning cable according to everything I've heard. I've also read it's best to avoid third party cables, which is somewhat unfortunate since they are typically cheaper than the official Apple ones.

camner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009

What would actually be best would be a USB-C to Lightning ADAPTER rather than cable, given how thick and bulky the USB-C charging cables are. Then one could carry the 29W charger, the USB-C to USB-C MacBook charging cable, and the hypothetical USB-C to Lightning adapter when traveling.

Alas, I don't think such a USB-C to Lightning adapter exists, at least not that I could find.

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
What would actually be best would be a USB-C to Lightning ADAPTER rather than cable, given how thick and bulky the USB-C charging cables are. Then one could carry the 29W charger, the USB-C to USB-C MacBook charging cable, and the hypothetical USB-C to Lightning adapter when traveling.

Alas, I don't think such a USB-C to Lightning adapter exists, at least not that I could find.
I haven't seen any adapters that are MFi certified. I wouldn't use any of the 3rd party adapters that I've seen so far. If someone has a link to a certified adapter, I'll get it and test.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I spent a lot of money on my devices. I would not risk the possibility of a cheap Chinese $2 cable possibly breaking my devices. They have a 1 meter and 2 meter cable to choose from, and they aren't that expensive. Best Buy sells them as well.

Reactions: Peter K.

camner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
I haven't seen any adapters that are MFi certified. I wouldn't use any of the 3rd party adapters that I've seen so far. If someone has a link to a certified adapter, I'll get it and test.

Thanks. Seems like a useful device...not sure why anyone hasn't made it yet.

I spent a lot of money on my devices. I would not risk the possibility of a cheap Chinese $2 cable possibly breaking my devices. They have a 1 meter and 2 meter cable to choose from, and they aren't that expensive. Best Buy sells them as well.

I'm not concerned about the cost of the cable; it just seems silly to have to carry two 1m cables, one USB-C to USB-C for the MacBook and another one, a USB-C to Lightning, for an iPad. But it seems that at this point that is what needs to be done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.