Charging AW with portable battery pack?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by silverblack, Aug 6, 2015.

1. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I was on the go the other day, and tried charging my Apple Watch inside my briefcase while connecting to a battery pack for charging iPhones and iPads. It connected fine and the green charging icon was showing in the watch. However, the battery never went up significantly after periods of couple hours.

I don't know if the issue was the watch disconnecting from the magnetic dock inside my briefcase while I was walking around, or somehow the battery pack could not drive the induction charger.

Anyone has experience on this?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

The induction charging system the watch uses is very inefficient and will not do well when powered by a regular battery powered power supply. These portable devices might work well charging a phone with a direct connection but induction is a whole different story.

3. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Only way to to tell is to charge at home with the charging puck attached securely, rather than in your briefcase.

4. silverblack thread starter macrumors 68030

silverblack

Now take this into consideration. The Watch charger plug is rated as 5V 1A (same as iPhone's). But the battery pack I used was rated up to 3A at 5V. Why would the power coming from battery be different than that coming from the DC source converted from AC (wall)?

This is the battery pack that I used:
    http://www.ianker.com/product/79AN13K2-BCA

Unfortunately, battery was borrowed. I am considering buying one, and hence would like to see if others had done the same thing for their Apple Watches.

5. Tomloes macrumors member

I've used 3 different battery packs with no problem. Probably was just not staying attached properly. Most batteries have a means of detecting whether something is attached, so it may have turned off automatically in your briefcase.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Manufacturers can claim what ever they want, but maintaining it rated power for a few hours that requires charging the watch is going to be a problem for most of these devices.

7. BadMelonFarmer macrumors 6502

BadMelonFarmer

I tried to charge my Apple Watch with a Sandberg rated as 4400mAh 5v 1A

the watch hardly charged, the Sandberg battery kept going into standby, I assumed it was due to very little drain so the battery thought the device was not drawing any more power so it should turn itself off.... i switched it back on a few times, but it kept doing it.

neither device were warm or hot, so i guess they do not draw much power?

8. silverblack thread starter macrumors 68030

silverblack

Thanks, that's all I want to hear.

9. silverblack thread starter macrumors 68030

silverblack

The Anker battery I used was turning itself off too, if I remembered correctly...

10. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Yes, its the lack of draw on the battery pack. It does not realize the watch is there and turns off. I have a two port pack. The watch will charge if I also have an iPhone or iPad connected to keep the charger active.

11. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

I've charged mine with an Anker battery. The connection must have slipped. Only annoying thing is the battery doesn't turn off when the watch is charged so it's not great for overnight

12. CobraPA macrumors 6502

I've charged it with several battery packs as well. Works good. As someone else mentioned, some packs turn off at different levels as charging slows down. Those packs will shut off before the watch is fully charged. A lot of them have a on button though, and you can turn them on again and get close to a full charge by doing that a couple times, if needed.

13. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

My NewTrent 2-port pack works fine, although it will think there's nothing plugged in very intermittently. It's easy to tell when, because the Watch won't detect it is charging.

14. Cyberstven macrumors regular

My Anker battery turns off too. I have to plug in another device (e.g. my phone) to keep it charging.